Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Searching for 1960s/70s furniture

Posted 12-30-2019 04:19 PM
    I'd love to get suggestions on where I might find, or even have replicas made, of late 1960s or early 1970s furniture. I'm specifically looking for sofas and chairs. Of course I have been scouring flea markets and antique stores in our area. Of course I keep checking eBay. I don't want designer furniture. I need the kinds of things that are good ol' down home, mom-and-pop furniture for our interpretations.

Am I overlooking some great source? 

Thanks for any advice! 

Angie

------------------------------
    Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Searching for 1960s/70s furniture

Posted 12-31-2019 09:38 AM

Hi Angie,

Is this for a temporary exhibition or a permanent installation? 

You may want to reach out to specialty event rentals. Here in Austin we have Loot and Birch & Brass, but I'm sure there is something similar in your area. They specialize in non-traditional furniture to give events something special. The furniture often has a nostalgic feel. Even if you need it permanently, they sometimes sell off inventory or perhaps can point you in the right direction. 

I would be open to reproductions in mainstream, which is very influenced by these eras right now. I would also suggest watching tv shows and movies from the period to really get a visual of what you are trying to put together. 

Hope that is helpful. Please feel free to reach out directly. 

Dawn Hewitt
    Events Manager
    Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
    Austin TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Searching for 1960s/70s furniture

Posted 12-31-2019 11:24 AM
    This would be for a permanent display. I would love to find a reputable reproductions company or source! 

Thanks for the suggestions! 

Angie

Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR

• 4.  RE: Searching for 1960s/70s furniture

Posted 12-31-2019 09:59 AM
    Hi Angie,
    Consider attending the annual Round Top Antiques Show in Round Top, TX in January.  It's a large large large overwhelmingly large outdoor antiques festival.  https://www.roundtoptexasantiques.com
    I'll bet you'll be able to find everything you need there.  They have shippers on-site.  

Best of luck!
    Mary Anna

Mary Anna Murphy
    MAM Exhibit Design
    Designing cool exhibits for 20 years!
    www.mamexhibitdesign.com
    727-204-3617

• 5.  RE: Searching for 1960s/70s furniture

Posted 12-31-2019 11:30 AM
    Hi Angie,

Recommend you contact 'people/firms' in your area that do estate sales. Locally (Los Angles area) we use Nancy Eastland (you can Google for her information if interested). Oftentimes these type of people and firms get exacatly what you need and since i assume you are a 501C3 organization, if their client wants to donate some of their furnishings you can give them receipt and its deductible versus getting a few dollars for it at an estate sale. This should be a great resource for what you need.

Happy New Year's eve.
    Best regards,
    Art

Art Manask
    Principal
    Art Manask Consulting, Inc.
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588

• 6.  RE: Searching for 1960s/70s furniture

Posted 12-31-2019 02:12 PM
    Look at EstateSale.net and 24-7EstateSales.com for weekly estate sales. I have seen lots of great estate sales filled with period furniture. Great resources for anyone interested in collecting.

Stephanie Saunders
    Administrator
    Dallas TX

• 7.  RE: Searching for 1960s/70s furniture

Posted 12-31-2019 07:18 PM
    Have you tried thrift shops (e.g., Goodwill, DAV, Salvation Army, Hadassah, etc.) or local consignment shops? Craig's List? An ad or, even better, a story in your local paper that explains what you're looking for and why? A Facebook "Recommendation"? 1-800-GOT JUNK (they have to do something with the furniture they pick up)?

If you have any connections with a local continuum of care facility or similar, its management may know of sources that could help you, as those who are moving into such a facility often have to dispose of furniture that will not fit into their new living situation.

If you have volunteers, they may have some ideas, and don't forget to spread the word to your relatives!

Good luck!

Martha Katz-Hyman
    Assistant Curator (Restricted)
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA