Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Statements about children in Museums

Posted 02-10-2020 05:16 PM
    Hi All,

I was wondering if any institutions have a statement or philosophy about the way children interact with the Museum. I'm thinking less "no running" and more "Museums are centers for discovery and exploration" type statements. I know the Tacoma Art Museum has a philosophy shared on the School Field Trip Page. Does anyone else have something similar? And is it available for the public to see or just an internal document? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Annie Young
    Education Coordinator
    Natural History Museum of Utah - University of Utah
    Salt Lake City UT
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Statements about children in Museums

Posted 02-11-2020 09:50 AM
    Check out the Exploratorium in San Francisco.   Not sure it makes it to their website, but their intro panels encourage discovery, fun and interaction in positive ways.

Children's museums may also have positive statements, too.

Kathryn Boardman
    Faculty
    Cooperstown Graduate Program - SUNY at Oneonta
    Cooperstown NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Statements about children in Museums

Posted 02-11-2020 11:46 AM
    Hi Annie, 

I will admit, we struggle with a balance of this here at my institution. We are a public museum that welcomes all ages, however, majority of our visitors are families. Many of which have never visited another museum before. I am a strong believer in positive language and engagement that moves away from the NOs and DON'Ts onto the whys and hows to allow for self-discovery. However, I know I am sometimes alone in this school of thought, being an interpreter and all. Anywho, we still run into lots of traditional language use and/or signage. Typically our retired community can grumble a bit at seeing children in the galleries and them not being quiet enough for their personal enjoyment. There is a fine line, I suppose, but for me, I would look at your mission statement and see how transitioning to new inviting and exploratory language could help navigate that change. 

I also really enjoy a short video from the Columbus Art Museum I found a number of years ago. I do not believe they still utilize it, as I couldn't locate it on their website. I did find it on their YouTube page. Here is a link. The video is titled Dos & Don'ts, but creativity is eyecatching and sets boundaries for the young guests or really anyone who hasn't experienced a museum before. You could change the language to focus on the exploratory goal you are trying to achieve. Another thought, you could engage your guests by asking for their opinion on how they see the exhibit and "expected" behavior there. 

Good luck!

Megan Osetek
    Coordinator of Interpretation
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

• 4.  RE: Statements about children in Museums

Posted 02-12-2020 05:40 PM

We are a local history museum but we definitely welcome young and old visitors alike. We have many hands-on interactives and we try to use positive behavior statements whenever possible. "Please" can go a long way, like "please walk," "Please keep all food and drink in the lobby," etc.  

It seems there was recently a thread very similar to this one recently, but I can't remember if that was here or another list serve. Anyway, someone posted a link to the Port Discovery Children's Museum Code of Conduct which I plan on using as a teaching tool with our gallery attendants. Here is the link https://www.portdiscovery.org/conduct

Susan Hawksworth

Museum Director

Smoky <ns0:placetype>Hill</ns0:placetype> <ns0:placetype>Museum</ns0:placetype>

Department of the <ns0:place><ns0:city>Salina</ns0:city></ns0:place> Arts and Humanities

211 West Iron · <ns0:address><ns0:street>PO Box</ns0:street> 101</ns0:address> ·<ns0:place><ns0:city>Salina</ns0:city>, <ns0:state>KS</ns0:state> <ns0:postalcode>67402-0101</ns0:postalcode></ns0:place>

785-309-5776  · 785-826-7414 (fax)

www.smokyhillmuseum.org

MPMA Board Member at Large and Program Committee Member

Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums

Help raise money for the Friends of the <ns0:place><ns0:placename>Smoky</ns0:placename> <ns0:placetype>Hill</ns0:placetype> <ns0:placetype>Museum</ns0:placetype></ns0:place> by searching the Internet with GoodSearch.com (powered by Yahoo) and shopping online with GoodShop.com.