Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Seeking Best-Practices for Interactive, yet VERY DELICATE Artworks

Posted 03-20-2018 10:40 AM
    Hi all,

I'm seeking some best practices insight for gallery attendants who have been charged with protecting an installation that is both interactive, but also extremely delicate. The piece is essentially a structure that visitors are invited to walk inside of, but whose walls and part of the floor are made of paper. Part of the floor is made of wood; that is where visitors are supposed to stand. However, we've had a number of small and not-so-small children who have stumbled off the platform and fallen through the paper parts. The piece has been damaged each weekend since this show has opened, in some cases, in more than one incident per day. It is not always the case that negligent parenting is at fault. 

Some measures already being taken include: a pro-active approach to all visitors who enter the Museum with children. They are told at the outset that there is no touching of the artworks, and that the artworks in this one particular exhibition are extremely delicate. We've instituted a no-children under 5 policy (and are considering raising it to age 12), and we limit to 2 people at a time inside the structure. We also have a pro-active approach when stationed at the piece itself, re-communicating these policies and keeping a close watch. We have a dedicated attendant posted outside the piece at all times possible to communicate these policies (however, due to limited staffing, this is not possible during all times, which is a major issue we're confronting). 

One additional measure we are going to try out is to rope-off access to only times when direct staff supervision is ensured. Short of increasing staffing levels, and raising the age limitation to age 12, I'm seeking advice and additional concrete measures that can be taken. I would love to hear your feedback. 

------------------------------
    Patrick McIntyre
    Manager of Membership and Museum Operations
    The Noguchi Museum
    Long Island City, NY 11106
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Seeking Best-Practices for Interactive, yet VERY DELICATE Artworks

Posted 03-21-2018 10:52 AM
    Patrick,

It seems like you already know the answer: this work is inappropriate as an interactive experience based on the resources available to you to protect it.

Sadly, children aren't always the culprits when it comes to damage, either. Clumsy, curious and willful adults can do far worse. Adults, in turn, are quick to point out damage already caused and attribute it to a failing on the part of your institution to adequately care for the work.

Unless you have an agreement that requires you to offer this interactive experience, I would shut it down as such. I'm sure in the planning stages this seemed like a wonderful idea, but the reality of the structure's design and your resources make it untenable. If that is not an option, then you would essentially need someone within the structure to protect it.

Alexa Potter
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more