Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Members rental policy

Posted 09-11-2017 01:09 PM

Hello,

We're in the process of looking at our membership rental policy and wanted to get an idea of how many museums rent their space only to members and at what level?  Is there an additional fee that members must pay for use of your space?

Thank you,

Laura

Laura Berliner

Director of Visitor Experience

N O R M A N    R O C K W E L L    M U S E U M

Home of American Illustration Art 

P.O. Box 308,  Stockbridge, MA 01262 

413.931-2204 t    

">http://www.nrm.org/">www.nrm.org  

Always something new to see!

Support your Museum... Become a member today!

www.nrm.org/support/museum-membership/

FacebookTwitter Pinterest YouTube

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Members rental policy

Posted 09-12-2017 08:53 AM
    Edited by Bill Blanchfield 09-12-2017 09:00 AM
    Hi,

The Met has policies on rentals and membership level requirements. Info is at http://www.metmuseum.org/join-and-give/host-an-event

We have looked at this extensively and decided to flip the idea and give a free one year membership to each client that rents one of our spaces. We understand that our functions clients may or may not be interested in becoming members so we make the membership a gift membership so they pass it along to someone who might put the membership to better use. 

Good luck!

Bill - bblanchfield@historicnewengland.org

------------------------------
    Bill Blanchfield
    Functions Manager
    Historic New England
    Waltham MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Members rental policy

Posted 09-13-2017 01:26 PM
    At the Metal Museum in Memphis, TN, we do not require that individuals or groups be members prior to renting.  However, members at the $1,000 level and above can receive 10% off their grounds rentals.  That said, I do know that other organizations in Memphis require membership prior to renting.  Message me privately and I will share the organizations I know of.

In other news, we just launched an initiative to send gift memberships to our brides one year after their wedding in an effort to further cultivate that unique group of supporters.

Frances Winfrey
    Development Manager
    National Ornamental Metal Museum
    Memphis, TN
    www.metalmuseum.org

• 4.  RE: Members rental policy

Posted 09-12-2017 04:21 PM
    Hi Laura!

We have a rental facility here that is available to both the greater community and our membership base. The rental info is here: Academy of Model Aeronautics - McCullough Education Facility
    Modelaircraft remove preview
    Academy of Model Aeronautics - McCullough Education Facility
    To reserve the room, please scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the link after reading the important information. Click here for decorating ideas on the Museum's Pinterest page. Click here for the history of Claude McCullough and the Education Facility. Contact: (765) 287-1256 ext.
    View this on Modelaircraft >

Claire Aldenhuysen
    Museum Educator
    National Model Aviation Museum, Academy of Model Aeronautics
    Muncie IN

• 5.  RE: Members rental policy

Posted 09-13-2017 09:52 AM
    Hello Laura - 
    Our museum is available to rent to the public - we do offer a discounted rate to members (10%). We also host children's birthday parties, which used to be exclusive to members; however, we have since opened it up to the public and increased the number of events by 25%.  Again, members receive a discounted rate. Hope that helps.

Anne Thompson
    Manager of Facility Rentals & Events
    Cleveland Museum of Natural History
    Cleveland OH

• 6.  RE: Members rental policy

Posted 09-13-2017 11:04 AM
    ​Laura
    My company works with museums all over the country on their rental programs. While many institutions limit rentals to members, it is a policy that can serve to diminish rental volume. If your goal is to generate rental volume it is important to be competitive with the local market. While there are not a tremendous number of venues in your area you should benchmark their capacities and rates. If you do require membership my advice is to aim for the combination of the member requirement and the rental rate not to exceed your local competitors. In the social market many brides find a membership requirement a "nuisance fee". Quite a lot of museums simply gift a one year membership to their bridal clients. I am happy to speak if it would be helpful.

Tracy Lawler
    President
    JGL Food Service Consultants
    Princeton NJ