Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Scratch-n-Sniff

Posted 06-09-2020 03:06 PM
    For those of you of a certain age, I am sure you remember the Scratch-n-Sniff stickers you got (along with those scented markers!) in school.

I am in the early stages of researching the possibility of creating a set of SnS cards to help teach collections care/preservation students (online and F2F) about the preservation implications of the things they smell around them.

I have started my list but would love to hear from all of you about what smells you find particularly helpful for identifying problems with collection items or in collection storage that are not easy to describe to someone. For example, most people know what vinegar smells like but not necessarily mold, or deteriorating nitrate negatives, or ozone.

I am still in the very early stages of planning this project but knowing how many smells I have to work with will help in pricing the project out.

I welcome smells from all LAMs as I would be using this not only for library and archives training but in collaboration with our museum studies course and cultural heritage informatics courses as well.

I am looking forward to learning about all your favorite (or not-so-favorite) smells in the work you do!

All the best,

Donia

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Scratch-n-Sniff

Posted 06-10-2020 09:53 AM

Good morning Donia, 

I unfortunately do not have enough of a background in conservation where I can recommend scents for that purpose. However, my master's thesis was focused on the use of scent in interpretation and visitor engagement, so I am thrilled to learn about your lesson plan. I have used scratch and sniff stickers, scent cubes and smelly objects while developing multi-sensory experiences. It's usually quite fun/novel, but it can also help develop long-lasting memories, elicit emotional response, and facilitate conversation.

I just wanted to throw into the discussion the importance of cataloguing and contextualizing scent of collections items, spaces, and landscapes. Of course, while some scents are indicative of decay or undesirable chemical reactions, others speak to the history, use, or manufacture of the object. If you record what an object should smell like, it can help conservators recognize changes over time, and it can help exhibit designers and education staff select objects when developing multi-sensory programs.

A favorite book of mine that explores the subject is "Sensible Objects: Colonialism, Museums and Material Culture" edited by Elizabeth Edwards, Chris Gosden and Ruth Phillips. Good luck on your lesson, it sounds fun. 

------------------------------
    Cory Keester-O'Mills
    Exhibits Coordinator
    Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
    Boca Raton FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Scratch-n-Sniff

Posted 06-10-2020 10:50 AM
    That distinct, vinegar like, but not quite vinegar smell of spoiling negatives.

Valeria Kondratiev
    The Frick Collection
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Scratch-n-Sniff

Posted 06-11-2020 09:07 AM
    Great idea! I like to describe the smell of atmospheric deterioration of glass as "dusty vinegar" and usually let people smell it when we talk about deterioration during lab tours.

Astrid

N. Astrid Van Giffen
    Assistant Conservator
    Corning Museum of Glass
    Corning NY