Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Reports/studies on audio guide usage

Posted 12-17-2018 02:41 PM
    Hi, I'm looking for data and reports related to audio guide usage, specifically stats that show that visitors spend more time in the galleries and standing in front of works of art with audio interpretation than they do without. Have you conducted such a study at your museum/cultural site? Do you know of any reports/studies that look into the value of audio guides? Please send links my way!

------------------------------
    Tim Halbur
    Media Producer
    J. Paul Getty Museum
    Los Angeles CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Reports/studies on audio guide usage

Posted 12-18-2018 10:20 AM
    Hey Tim,

The MET did a big survey/report on audio tour use in 2015.  The presentation on the findings from M&W can be found here: A new look at an old friend: Reevaluating the Met's audio-guide service .  I hope this helps.

-Jared

Jared Crellin
    Account Director
    ListenUp Audio
    Atlanta GA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Reports/studies on audio guide usage

Posted 12-18-2018 10:47 AM
    Hi Tim,

Here's an interesting article published for MW2015 on the topic of user behavior and audio guides:

and this one might be of interest as well, though you'll need permission to get beyond the abstract:

Frankly Green & Webb has done a number of projects studying the use of mobile guides in museums so it might be worth contacting them too.

All best,

Robin

Robin White Owen
    M: 917/407-7641
    T: 646/472-5145