Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  D.C. researcher rates

Posted 10-21-2020 04:48 PM
    Hi there,

I hope you are all well!

I am a doctoral student from New Zealand, who is seeking to find out what the going hourly rate for a University or independent researcher in D.C. to copy and scan documents is?

Any information you can provide on such rates would be warmly received.

Thanks,

Kiri

------------------------------
    Kiri Griffin
    Doctoral student
    Museum and Heritage Studies programme
    Stout Research Centre
    Victoria University of Wellington Te Herenga Waka
    Wellington, New Zealand
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: D.C. researcher rates

Posted 10-22-2020 06:27 AM
    Hello Kiri,

A starting point would be your Career Services office. The other choice would be seeing what rates you might find on Glassdoor. I did a general search on researcher, for example.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/washington-dc-researcher-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM911_KO14,24.htm

The other option is to conduct a few informational interviews with individual who hire research assistants or did the job recently.

Best regards,
    Mandi Toutsch

Mandi Toutsch
    P: 650-336-3121
    E: mandiltoutsch@me.com
    www.linkedin.com/in/manditoutsch/

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: D.C. researcher rates

Posted 10-23-2020 11:45 AM
    Hi Kiri,

The US National Archives maintains lists of independent researchers for hire here: https://www.archives.gov/research/hire-help
    Many of them are in the Washington, DC area and have websites listing their fees. About 2 years ago, I looked at the fees for about a dozen researchers and they ranged from $30-$55 USD per hour. That could have changed somewhat since then. I hope that's useful!

Best wishes,
    Donna Esposito

Donna Esposito
    Empire State Aeroscience Museum
    Schenectady NY

• 4.  RE: D.C. researcher rates

Posted 10-23-2020 06:03 PM
    Thanks so much Donna, the link and your experience are very useful, much appreciated!