Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  EdCom launches Museum Distance Learning Repository!

Posted 04-16-2020 10:00 AM
    EdCom has launched a simple repository for Museum Distance Learning programs and resources. You can see the site here: Museum Distance Learning.
    Google remove preview
    Museum Distance Learning
    With children and learners everywhere out of school for the forseeable future, museums across the continent have come together to share their distance learning with you. Use the pull-down filters below to find the best programs and resources for your needs. To add to this repository, please visit .
    View this on Google >

If you would like to add programs or resources to the site, you can add them here: Museum Distance Learning Resources / Programs
    Google Docs remove preview
    Museum Distance Learning Resources / Programs
    First things first. Please complete this very short form to tell us who you are and how to reach you: https://forms.gle/6eSZjaGYRpnNQtx89. In order to make this repository as useful as possible to caregivers, teachers and even motivated students, we ask that you list each program or resource separately.
    View this on Google Docs >

------------------------------
    Sarah Jencks, EdCom Steering Committee
    Director of Education and Interpretation
    Ford's Theatre Society
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: EdCom launches Museum Distance Learning Repository!

Posted 04-17-2020 08:19 AM
    Hi Sarah,

Great idea to launch this repository.
    I started to fill it out, but quickly realized that the list of audiences does not include adults.  Would you consider expanding your list to include programs for adults, older adults and people with disabilities?

Carolyn Halpin-Healy
    Executive Director
    Arts & Minds, New York

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: EdCom launches Museum Distance Learning Repository!

Posted 04-17-2020 09:54 AM

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for writing. I thought I had added a category for Adult / College (we're trying to keep the number of categories down), but it looks like I hadn't actually added it to the Google Form. That's done now. Thanks for the prompt.

There is a separate category for indicating that the programs are appropriate for those with mild to moderate special needs. I know your great work, and that may not satisfy your needs, so if you have another suggestion, please let me know. Here's what it looks like right now:

Happy to talk more about how we can help make this work for your audiences. Our original goal was that it served teachers and caretakers of young people, but if there are simple ways that we can adapt it for broader use, I'd love to make that happen.

Very best,

Sarah

-- 

Sarah Jencks

Director of Education and Interpretation

Ford's Theatre Society | Where Lincoln's Legacy Lives

514 Tenth Street NW

Washington DC 20004

O 202-639-1580

M 202-841-5513

Follow us on Twitter @FordsEdu

• 4.  RE: EdCom launches Museum Distance Learning Repository!

Posted 04-17-2020 01:39 PM
    Great work, thanks for doing this! Amazing resource for the field.

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Digital Experience Manager
    Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
    Coal Gables, FL

• 5.  RE: EdCom launches Museum Distance Learning Repository!

Posted 04-21-2020 07:18 AM

Hi Sarah, thanks so much for doing this! In the similar spirit of sharing lists, I wanted to pass along the links below (long form and short form - they are the same content):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DnmI_PzIr714EG69DoEkTHpKUZjQuWYS0u9-KkG8VZc/edit?usp=sharing

OR
    https://bit.ly/2US6S4Q for a list of "Museum From Home" opportunities that one of our museum studies students, Hannah Riley, has been compiling to help everyone who might be looking for digital diversions and/or to help structure some at home learning for little ones. The museums are listed along with their type of museum and content. Some include Education Curriculum.

Everyone is welcome to add content and to share with the links above broadly.
    Happy browsing!

Juilee

Juilee Decker, Ph.D. 
    Associate Professor, Museum Studies

College of Liberal Arts

Rochester Institute of Technology

Rochester, NY 14623

mailto: jdgsh@rit.edu

Twitter: @RITmuse

Juilee Decker PhD
    Associate Professor, Museum Studies Program
    Museum Studies - Rochester Institute of Technology
    Rochester NY