Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Vibration - scientific study

Posted 05-04-2022 01:07 PM

Vibration is bad for art, we all know. My question has to do with truck transportation of artwork. Typically we specify "air suspension," "air ride," or words to that effect. Has anyone published a study specifically about transportation and vibration, not just the general practice, but the scientific measurable specifics?  Is there a practical way for museums to test this, such as with an accelerometer, if in fact that's a useful tool? If not, what would be the measuring device and what's an acceptable range and what's unacceptable?

John Shannon

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Vibration - scientific study

Posted 05-05-2022 09:09 AM
    John:

I suggest you look at the work that Dr. Bill Wei, Cultural Heritage Agency of the Netherlands, has been doing.  Bill is well published & his 2021 book, Mechanical Properties and Testing of Materials, is quite good. 

Best.

Sue Maltby, Conservator, Fellow IIC
    Maltby & Associates Inc.
    Adjunct Faculty, Museum Studies Programme/Faculty of Information, University of Toronto

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Vibration - scientific study

Posted 05-05-2022 10:28 AM
    You may already be in touch with Dale Kronkright of the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum. He and his engineering colleagues are on a mission to minimize vibration! Mornings with O'Keeffe: New Technology System for Moving O'Keeffe's Art Around the World - Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
    Georgia O'Keeffe Museum remove preview
    Mornings with O'Keeffe: New Technology System for Moving O'Keeffe's Art Around the World - Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
    O'Keeffe Museum Head of Conservation, Dale Kronkright, will present a dramatic visual summary of his 10-years of research on how vibrations encountered in road and aircraft travel damage works of art. He will also outline the O'Keeffe Museums newly patented system from stopping vibration-induced damage to art and heritage materials.
    View this on Georgia O'Keeffe Museum >

------------------------------
    James Bryant
    Consultant, SOJOURN Science-Nature-Education
    Santa Fe NM

• 4.  RE: Vibration - scientific study

Posted 05-05-2022 12:49 PM
    Hi John,

The Getty Conservation Institute (GCI) has a Managing Collection Environments Initiative that has a transportation component. Link here: Managing Collection Environments Initiative To the left there is a Related Materials link that takes you to a bibliography. I'm not directly involved with this initiative, but I do know that it is active.

Best,
    Elizabeth

Elizabeth Soriano
    she, her
    Mountmaker
    J.Paul Getty Museum
    Los Angeles, CA