Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Intercept survey incentives

Posted 08-07-2019 01:12 PM
    Does your institution offer incentives for intercept survey participants, or is this something you tried in the past? What was the most successful incentive, and did you offer it to all participants or just a percentage of them?

------------------------------
    Micaela Hester
    Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
    Santa Fe NM
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Intercept survey incentives

Posted 08-08-2019 08:37 AM
    Hi Micaela,

We have offered lots of different types of giveaways for participation.  The best results came from a 'free' coffee at our cafe, I say that in quotes because we incurred the costs. The next best was giving away little things.  We have a basket guests can pull from.  We have magnets, pencils, pads of paper, small posters, all that didnt sell well in the shop and we had extra of.  People love them.

Conor Hepp
    Director of Visitor Services
    Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Intercept survey incentives

Posted 08-08-2019 08:53 AM
    Hi Micaela,

So, incentives will help but are not always someone's biggest motivator in doing an intercept survey. Some people will do it for an incentive; some don't care about that & just want to "help" the museum; others just love giving their opinion. And no one wants to be stopped at an exit for long. So, my interception quip is simply: "Hi! Would you mind helping us out and completing this super short survey? You can be entered to win."

With that said, I do have an incentive for my exit surveys & it's pretty good: enter to win a family 4 pack of museum entrance tickets + 4 tickets for something you usually have to pay $13-17 extra for at our museum. I pull a name once per quarter.

However I only use incentive for exit surveys, when people are geared up & ready to leave. I do not use incentive for mid-visit surveys (at an exhibit or something) and I haven't had any issues at all with that.

Mariah Flanagan
    Evaluation Coordinator
    Conner Prairie
    Fishers, IN

• 4.  RE: Intercept survey incentives

Posted 08-08-2019 10:40 AM
    It depends on the survey. If it is a long survey that takes them 5+ minutes, we may offer a small thank you (we call them "thank you's" versus incentives). Small tokens of appreciation are our standard for intercept surveys, such as institutional stickers, chapstick, pencils, etc. Our standard for all intercept surveys, however, is to have fun temporary tattoos that we provide for the children while the adult completes the survey. It is a great way for us to keep the kids engaged, and our hope is that it demonstrates to the adults that we recognize they came as a multi--age group, and we appreciate all of their time sharing information with us.

For online surveys completed off-site, we offer a chance to be selected to receive a gift card (not affiliated with the zoo, like Amazon). If your intercept survey is completed online through a mobile device, you could add this option, too. Gift cards could range from $5-20, depending on length of survey and how many gift cards you are willing to send out. For our guest experience survey, we select one person each month.

Marley Steele-Inama
    Director of Audience Research and Evaluation
    Denver Zoo
    Denver CO

• 5.  RE: Intercept survey incentives

Posted 08-13-2019 11:30 AM
    Thanks to everyone for sharing your examples and feedback! Much appreciated!

Micaela Hester
    Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
    Santa Fe NM