Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Vibrations from heavy traffic

Posted 07-03-2019 10:56 AM
    Hi everyone,
    We are in the early stages of determining a new site for building expansion. One of the sites less preferred by staff is in the path of a major east-west highway that goes through town. The site has two three-lane one-way roads that traverse the boundaries on each side of the site. Heavy truck traffic as well as general car traffic are constant through this corridor. Does anyone know of any studies undertaken on seismic vibrations from traffic and the effect on artifact collections?
    Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
    Jennifer

------------------------------
    Jennifer Bottomly-O'looney
    Senior Curator
    Montana Historical Society
    Helena MT
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Vibrations from heavy traffic

Posted 07-04-2019 06:46 AM
    Jennifer,
    I'm not aware of a study mesuring the affect of vibration on artifacts over time, but I can tell you that it's fairly easy to measure various types of vibration at a particular location and then design a building to accommodate it. The real question is whether decision-makers want to spend their money on this issue or if they prioritize something else, but if you collect data showing that logging trucks are shaking the whole site, that's compelling. Good luck! 

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Vibrations from heavy traffic

Posted 07-05-2019 12:54 PM

Greetings –

Bill Wei, a scientist with the Cultural Heritage Agency of the Netherlands (RCE) Amsterdam, The Netherlands, has published several studies on vibrations and vibration limits for collections.  Here is the link to a paper he presented at the  2014 ICOM-CC Triennial Meetings, held in Melbourne, Australia: https://www.icom-cc-publications-online.org/PublicationDetail.aspx?cid=e1d9f03d-2fde-458b-a31e-93009c9acbef.  This is available for a free download.  Since 2014, Bill has presented additional research results at various conferences including the IIC meetings last year in Turin.  Here's a link to his presentation from that meeting: https://doi.org/10.1080/00393630.2018.1504438

Others have published useful information on vibration monitoring during construction.  Last year, ARCS, AIC and WJE co-sponsored a webinar on Vibration Control during construction projects and highlighted efforts made at the Art Institute of Chicago and the Kemper Art Museum. 

While vibration from traffic is an issue, I would also be concerned about additional hazards associated with locating your museum at the site.  These include gaseous and particulate pollutants from automotive exhausts, particulate pollutants generated by tire abrasion (the GCI studied this several years ago), and whether hazardous materials are transported over the adjacent highways.

I hope this information is helpful.

Wendy Claire Jessup

Conservator

Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.

Care of Cultural Property

4620 Lee Highway, Suite 206

Arlington, VA 22207

(703) 522-2801 ext. 1

CF Partner 2017   aic-pa-mark-sm 

Art is not an adornment to society. It is not a luxury. It is the purpose of society. It becomes our legacy. It is also, however, our teacher; it helps us consider that which is around us and what we want to be. It makes demands on us that in turn lead us to place demands on ourselves and those with whom we live and work. David Rothkopf, Foreign Policy, 2/22/2017

• 4.  RE: Vibrations from heavy traffic

Posted 07-05-2019 12:54 PM
    Hi Jennifer:  Adding to Sean's response, there are many potential threats to consider when picking a site for a museum facility, including flooding, natural disaster, fire and explosions, hazardous materials, ground and air pollution, and external vibrations.  In addition to the vibrations presented by the traffic, you also need to consider the surrounding air quality and the pollution levels resulting from the steady traffic.  However, there are mitigation measures for both. I would be happy to have an offline discussion about site selection if you have additional questions.  In the meantime, while I do not have any specific references on the long term effects of traffic vibrations, below are some sources that discuss museums and vibration control.

• The Canadian Museum of History posted some information about vibrations and dust control on their blog. You may be able to reach out to them to get a better overview of their process and their vibration limits, although they concluded that their risks were low. https://www.historymuseum.ca/blog/dust-and-vibration-do-matter/

MICHELE F. PACIFICO
    Archival Facilities Consultant
    PO Box 1490, Jackson WY 83001
    301-908-8720
    martinpacifico@comcast.net
    www.pacificoarchivalconsulting.com

• 5.  RE: Vibrations from heavy traffic

Posted 07-04-2019 07:28 AM
    Jennifer-
    I think SFMOMA has some experience with vibration from nearby construction in addition to ongoing seismic activity. I’d contact them to see if they can help you.

Andy (Andrea) Mugnier
    Nevada Discovery Museum
    Reno, Nevada

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Vibrations from heavy traffic

Posted 07-05-2019 10:26 AM
    We have a good relationship with our State DOT and I would recommend contacting them to see if they would be willing to come out to your site to do a study.  We have one site close to the Iowa Interstate and they came out to test the noise levels for us to if sound walls were needed. Our relationship with the IOWA DOT has also provided invaluable wetlands mitigation work, and archeological studies that have been mutually beneficial. Perhaps that might be an avenue to start your investigation?

Ruth Haus
    President
    Living History Farms
    Urbandale IA

• 7.  RE: Vibrations from heavy traffic

Posted 07-08-2019 10:23 AM
    Jennifer,

A large interstate is being dismantled and re-built 100 feet from the Birmingham Museum of Art and they have an extensive and ongoing vibration study of the pre and post traffic effects, as well as effects of the construction. Margaret Burnham there would happily discuss or point you toward the right person (mburnham@artsbma.org).

Cheers, Austin

Austin Senseman
    CEO @Conserv
    Birmingham, AL
    asenseman@conserv.io
    (m) 205-222-2847