Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Scavenger hunts

Posted 03-24-2020 02:03 PM
    Edited by Beth Erikson 03-24-2020 04:35 PM
    Does your museum use a scavenger hunt?  Do you provide it online or in paper form? Do you use an app?  Do you have a general scavenger hunt for the whole museum or is it specific to an exhibit or event. We are trying to determine whether scavenger hunts are supportive of our exhibits or just something extra for a school group to complete. Please share examples if you are willing.  

Beth Erikson

Museum Educator | Nature Lab

The State Museum of Pennsylvania | Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission 

300 North Street

Harrisburg, PA  17120-0024

Phone:  717.705.7312 | Fax: 717.783.4558

merikson@pa.gov

www.statemuseumpa.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Scavenger hunts

Posted 03-25-2020 09:49 AM
    ​Our historic house museum utilizes paper scavenger hunts. We have two hunts, one for pre-k through mid-elementary and one for late elementary/middle school students. The hunt for younger children is exclusively outside-this is something parents can do with children while they are waiting for our guided tour to start or if they decide that they don't want to take the tour with their restless children, at least they can do the hunt together and hopefully learn a little about our site. The older children's hunt does incorporate our self-guided exhibition. In addition to handing out the hunts for walk-in visitors -and offering a modest prize for completion (pencil or stickers) we also use the hunts on special event days and sometimes with school visits. I do try to change up the hunt about every year or so in case we do get repeat visitors especially around the time we have a special event.

------------------------------
    Laura Willoughby
    Historic Site Coordinator
    City of Newport News
    Newport News VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Scavenger hunts

Posted 03-26-2020 10:20 AM
    Our small regional historical museum has used a paper scavenger hunt for several years with great success. Can't share an example, as I'm working from home, but it includes about 8 questions covering a variety of exhibits, plus about 6 b/w photos of artifacts for them to identify.  We have two (soon three) different versions that we rotate on a yearly basis, as we have many repeat visitors, and we, too, offer mini-prizes for completion.  The answers don't all have to be "right", because we get such great interaction when we're "correcting" them. The scavenger hunts are absolute kid favorites.  They see the stack and the pencils and go for it, criss-crossing the museum in an eager quest for answers.  Ours work best for mid-elementary age and up, with parental assistance.   One note: we keep all the activity indoors.

Deborah Bell
    Central Sierra Historical Society & Museum
    Shaver Lake CA

• 4.  RE: Scavenger hunts

Posted 03-26-2020 12:15 PM
    Beth,
    Hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to you because as a past Museum Educator, I have created and used many forms of scavenger hunts/discovery sheets, and family guides over the years. I have used all of them in a variety of ways. One, I have created hunts for specific exhibitions, two, the entire museum, and three, on a particular topic, such as Japanese lanterns for a garden. I have also created hunts for objects and colors. Overall, I have found the hunts a tool that engages all ages, gets participants looking at objects in more detail, sparks curiosity, and encourages participants to explore parts of the museum they may never have looked at. I also found it encourages participants to spend more time with an objects vs. the 3-4 minutes most people tend to spend on an object.
    You asked if the hunt is a tool that is supportive or a supplement, I believe it depends on how detailed you want to make the hunt. Based on experience, family guides tend to be supportive and a scavenger hunt something extra. If the hunt/discovery sheet is the only tool you are using to engage visitors, then the hunt is going to play a larger engagement role. Think about complexity, if you offer a color hunt then it will be extra. If the hunt, asks participants to count, pose as something, share about materials, sketch, or question then the hunt is going to play a larger role.
    I recently reviewed a grant for a museum and they were asking for monies to create a scavenger hunt. They theorized that the hunt was going to engage their visitors to their collections. I wasn’t quite convinced this was their only engagement option and encouraged them to think about pop up experiences, themed-carts and the like and use the scavenger hunt as a supplement since they lacked any other educational options.
    Lastly, I love making hunts and offering them to visitors or program participants. As I said, before I have found them a great engagement tool, and kids get excited using them.
    I would be happy to talk more with you about my experience with scavenger hunts. In my current job I use hunt for my family hikes. They are a big hit and I find the participants asking to take them home so they can use them on future hikes.
    Best,
    Michael

• 5.  RE: Scavenger hunts

Posted 03-26-2020 12:16 PM
    Beth,
    Hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to you because as a past Museum Educator, I have created and used many forms of scavenger hunts/discovery sheets, and family guides over the years. I have used all of them in a variety of ways. One, I have created hunts for specific exhibitions, two, the entire museum, and three, on a particular topic, such as Japanese lanterns for a garden. I have also created hunts for objects and colors. Overall, I have found the hunts a tool that engages all ages, gets participants looking at objects in more detail, sparks curiosity, and encourages participants to explore parts of the museum they may never have looked at. I also found it encourages participants to spend more time with an objects vs. the 3-4 minutes most people tend to spend on an object.
    You asked if the hunt is a tool that is supportive or a supplement, I believe it depends on how detailed you want to make the hunt. Based on experience, family guides tend to be supportive and a scavenger hunt something extra. If the hunt/discovery sheet is the only tool you are using to engage visitors, then the hunt is going to play a larger engagement role. Think about complexity, if you offer a color hunt then it will be extra. If the hunt, asks participants to count, pose as something, share about materials, sketch, or question then the hunt is going to play a larger role.
    I recently reviewed a grant for a museum and they were asking for monies to create a scavenger hunt. They theorized that the hunt was going to engage their visitors to their collections. I wasn't quite convinced this was their only engagement option and encouraged them to think about pop up experiences, themed-carts and the like and use the scavenger hunt as a supplement since they lacked any other educational options.
    Lastly, I love making hunts and offering them to visitors or program participants. As I said, before I have found them a great engagement tool, and kids get excited using them.
    I would be happy to talk more with you about my experience with scavenger hunts. In my current job I use hunt for my family hikes. They are a big hit and I find the participants asking to take them home so they can use them on future hikes.
    Best,
    Michael

Michael Fritzen
    [Los Angeles, CA

• 6.  RE: Scavenger hunts

Posted 03-25-2020 11:43 AM
    We have had scavenger hunts for adult events and the one problem we noticed was people getting too close to the paintings. I think the cropped clues were to small in detail causing people to get in really close to the paintings. My advice would be to design the clue so the participant can see it from a few feet away.

Christopher Niver
    Assistant Conservator
    Milwaukee Art Museum
    Milwaukee WI

• 7.  RE: Scavenger hunts

Posted 03-26-2020 08:31 AM
    You should check out the Adventure Map at Mount Vernon. It is a really nice scavenger hunt-type guide for families. Simple enough for young children to do with their parents, but also good for older kids to do on their own. Really helps navigate the estate, and is an excellent model for other sites.

Karen Stone
    Museum Division Manger
    St. Mary's County, MD

• 8.  RE: Scavenger hunts

Posted 03-26-2020 09:54 AM
    We have a variety of scavenger hunts. They are both exhibit specific and museum wide. When our natural history exhibit was opened, half a dozen check-list style hunts were created on various themes like birds, fish, and insects. Many of the items they had to find had a brief fact next to them. They were designed for non-school groups like scouts or moms groups to keep children more focused in what can be an overwhelming exhibit (lots of objects and text). The front desk has them and can hand them out as needed.

We have also developed self-guided scavenger hunts for school groups. These range in age from lower elementary to high school. They are more focused on a theme and have specific learning goals. They often tie into our guided school programs so that if a teacher has a larger group, half the class can do the search while the other half attends the program, though they are also great if a teacher doesn't have time for a guided experience or we don't have an educator available during their visit. If a teacher wants to create his/her own search, we can also provide these as a guide or starting point.

In the summer we created a summer passport program to promote return visitation. Children receive a passport at the beginning of the summer with a spots for 5 stickers. Every two weeks we release a new search activity (very short, about 8 questions max) on a theme. Upon completion they receive a sticker that looks like a stamp for their passport and an entry form for a prize drawing (Originally it was a $10 gift certificate to our museum store. Now that we no longer have a store, we buy or ask for donations of small puzzles or games). The searches are designed to draw attention to things visitors might not have noticed in the past. We had an entire search just based on the backgrounds of our dioramas for instance. 

Finally, we often develop searches for special events. For example, a family program on birds usually has a search that highlights birds in the exhibitions. These are sometimes limited to one exhibit and other times go throughout the museum. We generally give a small prize like stickers or a pencil.

Over the years, I've found that searches work best for keeping large groups of children more focused as they visit or for return visitors who are familiar with the exhibits and are looking for something new. Families visiting for the first time tend to want to simply look for themselves and not bother with a search activity.

Elizabeth Bazan
    Assistant Curator of Education
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL