Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Captioning a Live event

Posted 06-11-2020 11:31 AM
    Has anyone used an outside vendor to caption a live event, in real time during the event?

Zoom offers a feature, but we experimented and just don't think we will be able to keep up with the typing. Zoom recommends 3PlayMedia, but they don't seem to have availability on weekends, or perhaps they are just all booked up for the date we want.

Thank you,

Laura Vookles

Chair, Curatorial Department

HUDSON RIVERMUSEUM

511 Warburton Avenue

Yonkers, NY 10701

(914) 963-4550 x220

hrm.orgFacebookInstagramTwitterYouTube

MUSEUM FROM HOME

hrm.org/museumfromhome
    Bringing art, science, and history to you. 

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Captioning a Live event

Posted 06-11-2020 12:43 PM
    So glad you are working on accessibility for your Zoom program.  Here are some resources:
    A webinar and resources on Leading Accessible Virtual Programs
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rlwbXoJ8EF_d-yipV-MaPORtCPt-zX4h

More on CART captioning (including a link to providers) http://ccacaptioning.org/faqs-cart/

Accessible virtual meeting tips https://www.deafhhtech.org/rerc/accessible-virtual-meeting-tips/
    Hope these are helpful.

Claudia

------------------------------
    Claudia Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting, LLC
    Maplewood NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Captioning a Live event

Posted 06-12-2020 08:41 AM
    Edited by Nicole Smith 06-12-2020 08:41 AM
    Hello Laura,

We have live captioning for our two annual conferences. 

I see that you are in Yonkers, so here are a few local resources for you of potential providers. I don't know how you want to display the captions, but I'm sure whichever company you go with will have suggestions. 
    You may also have some luck with talking to the folks at The Museum, Arts and Culture Access Consortium. If you don't know them, they are a collection of cultural institutions professional in NYC that focus on accessibility. 

Best,
    Nicole

Nicole Smith
    The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
    Assistant Manager of VSA Membership
    nicole.m.smith.1985@gmail.com
    (314) 971-6343

• 4.  RE: Captioning a Live event

Posted 06-15-2020 07:54 AM
    Again--thanks to all. They did end up contracting a professional service to do this. I was at the event but not running it. When I find out from my colleagues how it went, I will post an update including whether it went smoothly for people who had the feature turned on and how accurate it was, as well as how easy it is to make corrections and attach to the video of the event.

Laura Vookles

HUDSON RIVERMUSEUM

511 Warburton Avenue

Yonkers, NY 10701

(914) 963-4550 x220

MUSEUM FROM HOME

hrm.org/museumfromhome

• 5.  RE: Captioning a Live event

Posted 06-16-2020 09:46 AM
    3-play Media is an excellent company for captioning should you need to use that service. They also do translation and have a high rating for accuracy as well as a good price point.

Joan Wright
    Associate Conservator, Asian C
    Museum of Fine Arts
    Boston MA

• 6.  RE: Captioning a Live event

Posted 06-12-2020 09:15 AM
    Microsoft Teams and Google Meet both offer live captioning done by AI systems at no additional cost. With that said there are certainly errors involved as this technology still needs improvement to meet WCAG standards, but worth experimenting with if you are not wedded to Zoom platform.

Best

Mark

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Digital Experience Manager
    Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
    Coal Gables, FL

• 7.  RE: Captioning a Live event

Posted 06-15-2020 01:22 PM
    Hi all,

Just a note - I cannot recommend machine transcription for events. As a Deaf conference attendee, I have had multiple negative experiences with machine transcription. This includes everything from names being rendered as sexual references to complete incomprehensibility.

Companies will sell machine transcription as cheaper and "almost just as good" as live captioning. There are even companies that promise humans editing the transcript on the fly - but this is still not effective access. (After tweeting about the poor service provided by this type of company at #AAMvirtual, I received email from the company blaming me and AAM for the issues.)

​Thank you for wanting to provide access for Deaf individuals, and thank you for using live captioners to do it right!

Meredith Peruzzi
    National Deaf Life Museum
    Gallaudet University
    Washington DC

• 8.  RE: Captioning a Live event

Posted 06-12-2020 09:44 AM
    Hi Laura,

I am so glad you are thinking about accessibility for your programs. We use the company called ACS Captions to provide CART services for our live programs. After the program, they send you a transcript. Which means if you record the program and will archive it for future usage, you can use the transcript to easily and quickly caption the recorded video! Feel free to reach out to me if you would like me to put you in touch with them.

All the best,
    Emmanuel

---------------------------------------
    Emmanuel von Schack
    Director, Access Programs
    National September 11 Memorial & Museum
    access@911memorial.org

Emmanuel von Schack
    Director of Access Programs
    National September 11 Memorial & Museum
    New York NY

• 9.  RE: Captioning a Live event

Posted 06-12-2020 10:07 AM
    Thank you to everyone who is responding so quickly about real-time text captioning. I am passing all these answers on to my education and visitor services colleagues who are managing this event and others.

Best and be well,

Laura Vookles

HUDSON RIVERMUSEUM

511 Warburton Avenue

Yonkers, NY 10701

(914) 963-4550 x220

MUSEUM FROM HOME

hrm.org/museumfromhome

• 10.  RE: Captioning a Live event

Posted 06-12-2020 10:19 AM
    Univ. of Iowa Stanley Museum of Art has used live captioning service. Please contact Curator of Learning & Engagement Kimberly Datchuk for details. (See our website for email.)

Elizabeth Wallace
    Mgr. Communication, Marketing & Membership
    University of Iowa Stanley Museum of Art
    Iowa City IA