Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Museum Educators: How much do you charge for classroom visits?

• 1.  Museum Educators: How much do you charge for classroom visits?

Posted 04-19-2018 10:46 AM
    Good morning, everybody! 

I'm interested in learning how much my fellow educators charge for a classroom visit, as opposed to a field trip. I've had some inquiries from classrooms in the Indianapolis area (we are located 45 minutes away) for me to come do a workshop with the students, but I'm not sure how much to charge. Obviously, I'd have to charge for mileage and supplies among other things, and the calculations I've done have come up exponentially higher than I expect teachers are within their ability to pay.  

As a point of reference, a field trip to NMAM for a class of thirty children and five chaperones ranges from $120 - $200. ​

Thanks for your insight!

------------------------------
    Claire Aldenhuysen
    Museum Educator
    National Model Aviation Museum, Academy of Model Aeronautics
    Muncie IN
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Educators: How much do you charge for classroom visits?

Posted 04-20-2018 10:30 AM
    Hi Claire - 

Our pricing for field trips is about the same. Admission costs for the size of group you quoted would be about $140; however, that is a self-guided visit. If a group that size included educator-guided tours of our facility it would add $60 to their visit.

For classroom outreach we charge $60 for the first program, $25 for consecutive or simultaneous programs (i.e., at the same school but for different classrooms). That cost includes 50 miles round trip and then we charge a flat rate fee of $15 plus $1.50/mile if the trip is longer than 50 miles.

I hope that helps!

Michelle Mileham
    Director of Education
    Tracy Aviary
    Salt Lake City UT

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more