Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Translation Question

Posted 01-11-2021 01:36 PM
    Can anyone share their experience using QR codes to provide a single language  translation of exhibit text?  
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Translation Question

Posted 01-12-2021 09:09 AM
    Hi Andrea,

I run a small translation company specializing in museum work. As far as I know, none of our clients have tried this approach, but I have seen other organizations and businesses use it. (I'd bet at least a few museums do it, too, but they're not our clients!) QR codes can be helpful when there isn't space for a second language on the wall/page. The downside is that, usually, a significant percentage of visitors who would read a translation on the wall/page won't bother scanning the code.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me on or off list.

------------------------------
    Kevin Gerry Dunn
    Translator

www.kgdtranslation.com
    info@kgdtranslation.com
    (+1) (520) 477-7507

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Translation Question

Posted 01-12-2021 09:44 AM
    Hello Andrea,

I have experience with QR codes in exhibits for ASL interpretation. We didn't use them exactly how you are asking- we used it for any audio (think oral stories/videos) and had QR codes by those pieces. We were able to promote the accessibility work in a big way and bring in a new audience for the museum. Some of the videos are on YouTube- here is a link to one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzHpdnDAmuQ

I'm happy to chat and answer any questions you may have. 

Best,
    Nicole

Nicole Smith
    Accessibility Consultant
    nicole.m.smith.1985@gmail.com