Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Spacing on Exhibit Labels

• 1.  Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-25-2019 12:10 PM

A controversy in our office is the spacing between sentences in exhibit labels.  Do you use two spaces?  Or have you gone to one space?  I've used two in this email.

Michele Lyons, Curator

Office of NIH History and Stetten Museum

National Institutes of Health

Bldg. 60, Room 236

Bethesda, MD  20814

301-496-7695 or

410-474-0483

http://history.nih.gov

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-26-2019 07:42 AM
    I would think spacing isn't as important as font size and contrast with the background of the writing. Also think about lighting, sometimes the light is directed onto the object and misses the label entirely. I single space but never let anything out that isn't to the Smithsonian ADA standards. And when in doubt, go bigger!

------------------------------
    Megan Kissinger
    Conservator
    Edison and Ford Winter Estates
    Fort Myers FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-26-2019 08:20 AM
    Years ago, I wrote a newsletter blurb on this. Unfortunately Ryan Gosling shut down the "Hey Girl" meme a few years ago so those links are now defunct. But the linked articles are still live.

But HOW MANY spaces between? ("Pointers" from Johanna Goldfeld Design: Issue #8)

Hope this helps!

Best,
    Johanna

Johanna Goldfeld Design, LLC
    Graphic and Exhibition Design
    Tel: 718-789-1238
    johanna@jgoldfeld-design.com
    Visit my website: www.jgoldfeld-design.com

• 4.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-26-2019 09:30 AM
    Thanks Johanna for the link!  I appreciate how you shared the history and the variety of opinions.  This controversy hasn't become a big deal at my institution and double spacing is so engrained in me after so many years of "typing".

Marian Ann Montgomery PhD
    Curator of Clothing and Textiles
    Museum of Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX

• 5.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-26-2019 09:38 AM

Thanks for everyone's two cents!  Being a research institution, my boss cites this recent scientific study, which finds that two spaces is better for people used to that, and one space readers aren't inconvenienced by two spaces.  So I guess the old two-spacers will have to die out before the one spacers completely win out.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29691763?dopt=Abstract

Michele Lyons, Curator

Office of NIH History and Stetten Museum

National Institutes of Health

Bldg. 60, Room 236

Bethesda, MD  20814

301-496-7695 or

410-474-0483

http://history.nih.gov

• 6.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-29-2019 10:12 AM

I recognize that my perspective (as a designer and user experience practitioner) is different than those of the study authors, and that opinions on this front vary widely... and strenuously.

That being said, I find this study to be not only flawed but dismissive to the entire fields of design and typography, which have studied, examined, and refined typography over hundreds of years (admittedly without this level of empirical evidence through much of their history).

The study's authors have negated the validity of their conclusions by choosing for their tests a MONOSPACE typeface that was designed to emulate typewriters, read by participants on a screen. This perpetuates outdated and irrelevant standards by relying on an initial assumption that any undergraduate design student would identify as problematic. I would also question how relevant a test that prevents any head movement is to real-world scenarios, but I understand the desire to isolate eye-tracking results.

I would add that typography is not just a clinical conveyance of words, but includes visual and emotional messages of tone, texture, balance, etc. (which, for example, is impacted by having large holes sprinkled everywhere amidst the text).

I don't have data to refute that study, but I would at least urge strong skepticism if you're basing decisions on it.

Brian Hewitt
    Digital Media
    Corning Museum of Glass
    Corning NY

• 7.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-29-2019 10:48 AM

That is a good point about the type face that they used. We're trying to switch to one space. Old habits die hard.

• 8.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-26-2019 09:45 AM
    You're welcome. It's amazing this is such a controversy. Perhaps AAM should issue a position paper;-)

Johanna Goldfeld Design, LLC
    Graphic and Exhibition Design
    Tel: 718-789-1238
    Visit my website: www.jgoldfeld-design.com
    Read my blog: www.jgoldfeld-design.com/blog

• 9.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-26-2019 09:05 AM
    I find double-space is a hold-over from mono-spaced typefaces used in typewriters. If you do use a mono-spaced font for some reason, please double-space. Otherwise, the type designer should have planned the appropriate amount of space for you. Or your designer will kern as needed. Avoid double-spaces after periods. It's 2019 after all.

Also, avoid underlined words. That's another hold-over from the typewriter days, when you were limited is ways of showing emphasis without a whole new typewriter.

That's my 2 cents.

Chris

Chris Evans
    Interactive & Graphic Designer
    St Paul MN

• 10.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-26-2019 11:49 AM
    One. Two spaces comes from the days of typewriters when each latter had the same width.

We had the same discussion here a few weeks back. In an informal survey, I found that two-spacers tended to be Boomers from the Humanities. I am a Boomer from the humanities so I offer myself as proof that you can change a habit. In my case it required a merciless editor...

db

Dan Bartlett
    Curator of Exhibits
    Elmhurst History Museum
    (630) 833-1457 ext 6450

• 11.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-26-2019 11:55 AM
    I respectfully suggest you may just be over-thinking the question. Professionally typeset books and magazines all use single spacing. Single spacing shouldn't be an impediment to reading unless the reader only reads things done on a typewriter, or printed straight from Word by someone who double-spaces. As a designer, I'd use the professional standard, and focus on all the other type design elements that I had leeway to tweak--e.g. type size, typeface, leading, kerning, line width, etc.

Ian Breheny
    Exhibit Designer
    Florida Museum of Natural History - University of Florida
    Gainesville FL

• 12.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-26-2019 12:14 PM
    Hi Michele

Two spaces is leftover from typewriters, and might be appropriate if you are using Courier font (or another typewriter font). One space comes from typesetting for printing. One space should be used for print publications, websites, other digital media, and museum labels-anywhere you use type.

Regards

Mark

www.driscolldesigninc.com 

• 13.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-29-2019 11:36 AM
    One. Space.

Laura Caruso
    Director of Publications
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO
    Director of Publications

• 14.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-29-2019 12:22 PM

And I'll add my $.02:  One or Two, please just be consistent. I've seen any number of text panels in museums that use one, two, and even three spaces between sentences all in the same panel with no consistency.  Yes I admit, this is a pet peeve of mine (like the Oxford comma, use it or don't, but don't use it some time and then not in the same panel).

Best,

Keni

Keni Sturgeon
    Executive Director
    Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center
    Wenatchee WA

• 15.  RE: Spacing on Exhibit Labels

Posted 07-29-2019 12:58 PM
    It all depends on the size of text and font. You could just split the difference and go 1.5 spaces.

Gwen McCausland
    Director
    Agricultural Heritage Museum South Dakota State University