Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collections Committee recruitment

Posted 09-03-2020 01:14 PM
    It's been suggested to me by the director of our Foundation (we are an academic museum) that I try to recruit a PhD student as a member of our collections committee.  On the one hand, I find the idea intriguing, especially since one reason we need to recruit is that our existing members are aging and either literally dying or very, very infirm.  They have (and had) been the lions of curatorial and archives management in our region, but are having trouble keeping up with even our, very light (four regular agendae a year), requirements.  We went with digital "meetings" long before the pandemic to ensure that our frail members could comfortably participate, but even that has become burdensome.

It is such a shame because collectively, they had such deep knowledge of local and regional history and what objects were where.

It would be fabulous to have the perspective a much younger eye and opinion, but I see the possible drawbacks including getting someone to be fully engaged for a short time, only to have them get swamped with dissertation requirements or taking a new post that precludes extra-curriculars.  I am getting close to retirement myself and would like to find ways to engage the rising crop of museum pros and scholars.  Those in my generation volunteered for all sorts of advisory and leadership roles and now we need to cultivate the next generation.

Does any of you see the pitfalls I am not?  Had any of you tried this?  What's been your experience?  Thank you!  Vivian

------------------------------
    Vivian Zoë
    Executive Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    Norwich CT
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collections Committee recruitment

Posted 09-04-2020 08:37 AM
    Vivian,

Inviting younger members of the community to join museum committees and boards is an exciting opportunity.

I am an older student in the Curatorial Track PhD Program at the University of Delaware. My cohort of students is an impressive group as they have experience working in museums as curatorial assistants, managers of print study rooms, etc. My own background is in conservation. The PhD students are a mature and thoughtful group of individuals who would likely welcome such an opportunity.

I don't think you have to worry about the time commitment associated with the collections committee. It is an activity that is different to how PhD graduate students generally spend their time and therefore may be very welcome since it is an opportunity to engage with others and further the mission of your Foundation/Museum.  For PhD students It would provide a break from research and writing dissertations. In addition, remote meetings work well for graduate students who may be limited in their ability to travel. Building a network of museum professionals would also be welcome to PhD students.

I would have thought young collectors are a good target audience as well. Ideally one would have both - someone in training for museum work with an academic background and a young collector or member of your museum who is demonstrating a sustained pattern of donating.

I am happy to discuss this topic further and perhaps share more about the Curatorial Track PhD program in art history at UDel since it includes course work in museum studies and curatorial internships.

Best wishes,
    Tiarna

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collections Committee recruitment

Posted 09-04-2020 10:34 AM

Do you have a "manual" for the Collections Committee with its mission, goals & objectives? ​Are the "rules" that define the Committee rigid, flexible, or non-existent? It would be helpful to have more context - for example who makes up (or what qualifies someone to be on) the Committee? Institutional knowledge is critical, but as you point out, there must be a way to bring on new people to keep the knowledge from "retiring out" - especially if there are no written instructions that define what I said in my opening sentence. 

Bringing on a PhD student is a good idea because a new person - even if for a one-year period - will both provide insight and be educational for all. He or she might ask questions that the "old guard" would not have thought of. Having a student on board, even if a non-voting member, would be good for the long-term health of the committee. On the other hand, if the Committee is politicized (not unusual), it may turn the student off from ever wanting to work in that field! So the dynamics of the board members should be part of the consideration.

My current position doesn't have a collections committee, but my previous one did.

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of the Ohio State Park / Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN