Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Seeking co-presenters for panel on developing bilingual and/or multilingual content

Posted 09-04-2018 02:52 PM
    Edited by Anna Simmons 09-04-2018 02:53 PM
    Hi All, 

We are looking for panelists from other organizations for a session on developing, creating, and presenting multilingual content, from public programs to exhibit interpretation. This cross-departmental presentation will examine multilingual offerings as a way to connect with new audiences in meaningful and relevant ways. 
    Attendees will gain new insights about what to consider when creating multilingual programs and exhibits. We will discuss some of the challenges and successes and provide a supportive network to help others implement and/or iterate multilingual approaches at their institutions. Describing specific examples will inspire other informal learning professionals to think critically about their inclusive practices. Participants will hear different perspectives and gain inspiration to break down language access barriers and offer experiences that reach more diverse audiences.

Please reply to this thread or email me if you're interested! 

Anna Simmons
    Senior Exhibit Content Developer
    asimmons@calacademy.org

------------------------------
    Anna Simmons
    California Academy of Sciences
    San Francisco CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Seeking co-presenters for panel on developing bilingual and/or multilingual content

Posted 09-05-2018 07:02 PM
    Hi Anna--I'm a Spanish/English translator who works with a number of museums in the U.S., Latin America, and Europe to develop multilingual exhibitions, and I think this is a great idea for a panel. I'll email you off list.

Kevin Gerry Dunn
    Translator

www.kgdtranslation.com
    info@kgdtranslation.com
    (+1) (520) 477-7507

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Seeking co-presenters for panel on developing bilingual and/or multilingual content

Posted 09-06-2018 01:29 PM
    Dear All,
    I will be excited to participate in this panel. I have worked on several projects that have included translation from English to Spanish and English to Chinese. Currently, I am the head of interpretation at the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego, where I oversee all translation and I am in the process to revamp our interpretative plan to include Arabic translation. As the only bilingual employee in a leadership position at my organization, with the diversity of the San Diego/Tijuana region guiding my decisions and my passion to create museums accessible for all, I believe that by breaking language barriers we can build a more inclusive field. Thus, speaking about the care needed, yet ease, to implement translation into exhibitions and programs would be a great honor. I hope you would consider me as a potential panelist.  

Best regards,

Cris Scorza

Cris Scorza
    Education and Engagement, Director
    Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego
    La Jolla CA

• 4.  RE: Seeking co-presenters for panel on developing bilingual and/or multilingual content

Posted 09-07-2018 10:05 AM
    Hi Anna,

I have just emailed you on this. I would be interested in participating on the panel. Our experience is primarily in English - Arabic content for exhibitions in the Middle East. Many factors from linguistic, cultural and national to consider.

I hope this reaches you in time to submit. 

With best regards,

Martyn Best
    CEO
    Cultural Innovations Ltd.
    London

• 5.  RE: Seeking co-presenters for panel on developing bilingual and/or multilingual content

Posted 09-10-2018 12:09 PM

Hi,

I am a graphic designer and am working on an upcoming exhibit at the Natural History Museum of Utah, which is in English and Spanish. I have previously been involved in English/Chinese exhibits.

I would love to be part of the panel and discuss the advantages and the challenges of designing for two languages in an exhibit, and stressing that both languages need to always be treated as equal.

Dawn Farkas Prasad
    dfarkasprasad@nhmu.utah.edu
    Exhibit Designer, graphics
    Natural History Museum of Utah - University of Utah
    Salt Lake City UT