Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Autism and Sensory Processing Assessment Toolkit for Museums, Science Centers, Cultural Institutions, Zoos and Aquariums

• 1.  Autism and Sensory Processing Assessment Toolkit for Museums, Science Centers, Cultural Institutions, Zoos and Aquariums

Posted 11-08-2018 03:50 PM

Dear Colleagues:

Madison Children's Museum and the Ausderau Research Laboratory at the University of Wisconsin – Madison have developed an assessment toolkit for you to download.

The purpose of this evaluation toolkit is to support public institutions wishing to increase accessibility and inclusion for children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and/or sensory processing challenges. The toolkit provides mechanisms to evaluate a number of aspects of the public institution through structured observations of space and programs, website materials, and stakeholder and institution feedback. Findings can be used to identify areas of strength and need, as well as to measure the impact of initiatives designed to increase accessibility for this population.

Although the tools were developed to gather information related to the experience of families with children with an autism spectrum diagnosis and/or sensory processing challenges, these assessments can be used to implement changes that benefit all users.
    To download the toolkit please use the following link: (https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_a2Eq8k1INNECPCR)

or send a request to Karla Ausderau (kausderau@wisc.edu)

or Sandra Bonnici at sbonnici@madisonchildrensmuseum.org

Thank you and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions

Sandra Bonnici

Associate Director of Education, Diversity, and Inclusion

Preferred Pronouns She/Her/Hers
    Madison Children's Museum
    100 N. Hamilton Street
    Madison, WI 53703
    Direct Line: 608.354.0542
    Main line: 608.256.6445 x542

sbonnici@madisonchildrensmuseum.org

Fax: 608.268.1398
    MadisonChildrensMuseum.org

MACM_2013_LogoKW2

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Autism and Sensory Processing Assessment Toolkit for Museums, Science Centers, Cultural Institutions, Zoos and Aquariums

Posted 11-19-2018 12:57 PM
    Hello, I was hoping someone could assist me. I am a Curator who recently was asked to work with volunteer and/or perhaps intern with autism. I am really, really happy to do this, but the individual arrived unexpectedly with a unannounced provider (I think an aide is more the impression I get) and emails back and forth setting up the logistics cc-ing various family members and individuals with whom I have not been introduced. We are a small institution so I do not have the luxury of consulting a HR person or a museum lawyer about ADA or such things. I do not want to overstep my boundaries, but I feel a little confused by all the parties involved who have not been introduced. If there's a program to follow I would like to know. Does anyone know an appropriate way I can ask who these individuals are, how involved they need to be and/or if I need to communicate with them? If there's a series of goals or a program the individual with autism is working with I think it would be helpful for me to know so I could work best with them...

I hope I haven't violated anything or been offensive here, but it seems like these are fair questions to ask and I'm confused about how to go about this. Alternatively if someone knows a resource I can reach out to that would be wonderful also!

------------------------------
    M.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Autism and Sensory Processing Assessment Toolkit for Museums, Science Centers, Cultural Institutions, Zoos and Aquariums

Posted 11-21-2018 12:43 PM
    HI. I would be happy to talk with you about your intern. I have extensive experience working with individuals with autism, especially young adults (I have a 23 year old daughter on the spectrum so I totally get it). Send me an email at bredmondjones@sdnhm.org and let's set up a time to chat so I can better understand your situation and hopefully provide you with some guidance to make it a successful experience for everyone. I also just recently published an article about working with young adults with autism which you may find helpful. Look forward to talking with you.

Beth

Beth Redmond-Jones
    Vice President of Engagement and Education
    San Diego Natural History Museum
    San Diego CA
    bredmondjones@sdnhm.org
    619-255-0205 ph