Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Assistance helping new museum understand accreditation value

Posted 03-25-2020 01:02 PM
    Hi, I so hope everyone that gets this note is safe and healthy.
    I'm working on a project creating a new museum. The client side is missing experience in this area, and does not have a lot of museum experience in general.
    I'm working on helping them understand the utility of accreditation. I have the AAM info, of course!
    I'm wondering if anyone has meta language or approaches they have used in the past to help?
    Many thanks and stay well,
    Maria

------------------------------
    Maria Mortati
    Independent Exhbition Designer
    San Francisco CA
    mariamortati@gmail.com
    (415) 235-8994 [cell]
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Assistance helping new museum understand accreditation value

Posted 03-26-2020 07:54 AM
    First, if the museum is just now becoming established, it requires a track record before even considering becoming accredited. Start by establishing policies and practices. Then go for a MAP in a couple of years.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Assistance helping new museum understand accreditation value

Posted 03-26-2020 12:08 PM
    Hi Maria,

Accreditation is so important.  Yet, it takes time to be accredited.  You might want to undertake the STEPs program and move forward from it. The MAP sectors are also excellent ways to move toward accreditation.

Charlene Akers
    Executive Director
    Coronado Quivira Museum - Rice County Historical Society
    Lyons KS

• 4.  RE: Assistance helping new museum understand accreditation value

Posted 03-27-2020 09:13 AM
    I have had to have that conversation before.  I tried to relate it to other profession's standards:  would you hire a general contractor that wasn't licensed?  or go to a doctor who never completed their medical degree?  Of course not!    

Well, savvy donors may not wish to gift money or art/artifacts to a museum that does not meet its professional standards, another museum may not want to loan items from their collection, and a granting organization may look more favorably on requests from an accredited museum.

Kristy Griffin
    Museum Registrar
    Wyoming State Museum
    Cheyenne WY

• 5.  RE: Assistance helping new museum understand accreditation value

Posted 03-30-2020 08:53 AM
    Hi,
    How exciting to be working on a new museums project! I wish you success.

I have a couple of thoughts to suggest. First, you may be familiar with what AAM calls its "Continuum of Excellence" - they view striving for and achieving the highest standards as a spectrum, and accreditation is a point pretty far along on the spectrum. Many museums might wish to go through the accreditation process, but may not be ready for a variety of reasons, and a young or new museum would likely be at a different place on the spectrum. AAM does a great job of mapping out the professional best standards and practices that all museums should want to achieve. It's a great check list for creating a new museum, to see which areas you've achieved and which ones still need some work. And the AAM library of sample documents are available to museums trying to increase their professionalism, so they can see what others have done and adapt it to meet their own needs. 

A next step further along on the continuum is to go through a Museum Assessment Program Review in some area where the Museum needs help, or maybe in an area where you've been telling them something, but you think the support of an outsider saying the same thing would help convince them to listen to you. This would also move you forward on the continuum toward accreditation, and might also help non-museum professional board members understand the value of the process.

When you think you have all of your ducks in a row and are ready to apply for accreditation, you will already have gone a long way toward achieving best standards and practices! Only about 1% of museums in this country reach AAM accreditation, and doing so puts you in an elite group with some of the country's top institutions. As a young institution this would also signify that you have moved from being an upstart that is playing catch-up with older institutions, to being a leader in your field and community. Also, as a collections guy from an accredited institution, I will always look at a museum that wishes to borrow objects from our collection to see if they are accredited - knowing that they've gone through that rigorous vetting process makes me confident that their staff and policies and facilities follow best practices, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel determining that for myself. So it gives that accredited institution access to loans that they might otherwise not have. As a grant reviewer and panelist, if I'm unfamiliar with a museum by reputation, I will also look to see if they are accredited, because it tells me that they will be good stewards of a grant if awarded. And finally, as a seasoned museum employee, if I was looking at a job listing at a museum, I would check to see if they were accredited before applying - I'd want to be sure that my understanding of professionalism and ethics would be valued by my prospective employer. For the accredited museum, it means that the best candidates and talent will apply, rather than passing over a listing. 

I hope somewhere in here are some tidbits that will prove useful for you. Good luck!
    Chris Carron
    Director of Collections
    The Children's Museum of Indianapolis
    chrisc@childrensmuseum.org

Christian Carron
    Director of Collections
    The Children's Museum of Indianapolis
    Indianapolis IN

• 6.  RE: Assistance helping new museum understand accreditation value

Posted 03-31-2020 01:15 AM
    Dear Kristy & colleagues:

My question arising from such an argument as the one relating to doctors:
    1. Is AMM accreditation a licence without which museums cannot legally practice?
    No question that accreditation can be of value to savvy donors & professional museum practice, but just some food for thought about potential case overstatement here.

Respectfully yours

Paul C. Thistle

• 7.  RE: Assistance helping new museum understand accreditation value

Posted 03-31-2020 09:13 AM
    I completely understand your point, but if the idea is to convey museum accreditation to a non-museum-educated audience, there has to be some sort of comparison you can make to a more commonly understood practice.  I agree the comparison to a General Contractor may be more appropriate here, but there are nontraditional medical professionals that practice without a medical license.

Kristy Griffin
    Museum Registrar
    Wyoming State Museum
    Cheyenne WY