Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum display cases

Posted 12-16-2016 05:15 PM
    Edited by Andrew McGivern 12-19-2016 12:48 PM

Display case storage is taking up a lot of real estate and I was wondering if anyone has or uses collapsible wooden display case bases. If so, are they sturdy and aesthetically pleasing? What type of device is used to link the sides together?

One of our preparators said he visited a Museum in Milwaukee and saw display cases that had a seam near the corners of the display bases and thought they might be collapsible.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy McGivern

Curator of Exhibitions

Woodson Art Museum

700 N 12 Street

Wausau, WI 54403

715-845-7010

mcgivern@lywam.org

www.lywam.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum display cases

Posted 12-19-2016 10:11 AM

I've seen a case design that could stack to reduce its storage footprint. In this situation, the vitrine slid into its pedestal base for storage and the removable top of the pedestal, the riser, was turned upside down and used as a lid. The pedestals could stack and the vitrines were much easier to track than standard.

------------------------------
    Rebecca Shreckengast
    Director of Exhibit Experience
    Carnegie Museum of Natural History
    Pittsburgh PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum display cases

Posted 12-19-2016 12:03 PM

You wouldn't happen to have had images of that design would you? It sounds truly remarkable. We are having the same issues with storage space.

Oliver Klicker
    Chief Preparator
    Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art - University of Florida
    Gainesville FL
    oklicker@harn.ufl.edu

• 4.  RE: Museum display cases

Posted 01-19-2017 01:14 PM
    Bumping this thread up to hopefully get a discussion going. I am also in the process of researching multi-use exhibit cases that don't take up a lot of space. Frank (Frank Museum Display Cases, Demountable Acrylic Exhibit Cases | Gaylord Archival) is the best vitrine I have seen since all of the panels come apart and can store flat. I have still not found any pedestal bases that work for our needs and store well. It is a constant battle.

Amber Sederholm
    Lead Preparator
    Musical Instrument Museum
    Phoenix AZ