Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Volunteers in the Museum

Posted 03-13-2019 11:56 AM
    Hey folks,

We have a somewhat robust volunteer program, but are looking for ways to improve upon it and lower the median age of our force (currently 73). After surveying the previous threads, I had just 2 questions left:

1. What strategies were successful for recruiting and retaining younger volunteers (18+)? Was there pushback or tension between the two groups, and if so, how did you mediate such issues?

2. Do you have volunteers performing non-traditional tasks? (E.g. beyond the information desk, docents, tour guides, etc.). 

Thank you in advance, I look forward to your success stories!

Best,

------------------------------
    Marc Levitt MLS
    Archivist, Exhibits Committee, Visitor Studies
    National Naval Aviation Museum
    NAS Pensacola FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Volunteers in the Museum

Posted 03-14-2019 07:16 AM
    We have one volunteer (around 70) who's been with us for about 8 years.  He started shortly after retirement with a specific "construction" related task.  He had had his own construction business and is retired Navy.  Because we ended up with a temporary staff deficit, he stepped in to handle our membership renewal process.  Now he is an all-round "staff member.  working mostly in collections management.  He assist with exhibition installation and object handling, particularly when we have to move a large object.  He now works five days a week, five hours a day!  It's a mixed bag.  Some days I don't know whether to hug him or strangle him, but that can be the case with "real" staff as well.

His wife is also a volunteer, working much fewer hours in the visitors center and at receptions.  She's also a great copy editor for our newsletter and extended object labels.  Honestly, sometimes, she's the only reason I keep him!

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Volunteers in the Museum

Posted 03-14-2019 11:56 AM

In growing our Volunteer Program, one comment that I have received is the need for hours outside the traditional 9-5. Beyond events, we have been recruiting volunteers to help with collections management, namely getting our 10,000+ artifact collection ready for a move in just under two years. Due to staffing limits, volunteers can only be here when either myself or my assistant is available to supervise/train, which is almost exclusively Monday-Friday between 9 and 4:30. The museum is not open past 4:30 any days, so evening hours are not available.

Having group training sessions later in the day and having weekend/evening hours would probably help lower the age of your group, if you haven't tried that already.

Best,

Shelby

Shelby Miller
    Curator/Dr. of Education and Outreach
    Galena History Museum
    Galena IL

• 4.  RE: Volunteers in the Museum

Posted 03-14-2019 04:32 PM

Marc, have you tried writing your position descriptions and benefits to capture the needs of younger cohorts/volunteers? For instance, if you're looking for young adults, teaching them a skill they can use in the job world and offering to write letters of recommendation for jobs or school after x number of hours spent dedicated to that project or skill? 
    Have you tried crafting positions to suit family groups, corporate groups, students who need school credit, etc?
    There are lots of different ways to present what your institution needs - multiple ways to phrase the benefits to the volunteers. 
    Best, 

Paula

Paula Allen
    Volunteer Services Coordinator
    Filoli Center
    Woodside, CA

• 5.  RE: Volunteers in the Museum

Posted 03-15-2019 06:43 AM
    Hi Marc. I think you will find as we have, that it is difficult to recruit younger volunteers who are still in the work force. Our museum has the same problem as many others, a large volunteer corps with a median age in the 70s. We have managed to pull in some younger members during weekends. When we first opened in 2000, we had a number of WWII veterans. Being a military museum, they were a huge asset. They are no longer with us and have been replaced with mostly Cold War and Vietnam Veterans. We try to recruit younger vets but have had little success, We also have a number of retirees who worked for defense contractors.
    Sources of younger retirees are teachers, police and firemen who often to retire in their forties and fifties with decent pensions. We have had a number of them join us. You may want to consider actively pursuing that pool. Try an open house recruiting event.

Lawrence Starr
    Museum Manager
    American Airpower Museum
    Farmingdale NY