Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  3D prints in education programs or as in-gallery interpretive tools

Posted 03-13-2018 12:57 PM
    Dear Colleagues,
    As part of a Knight Foundation museums and technology grant Vizcaya Museum and Gardens has been using establish conservation 3D technologies and adapting them for interpretive uses. One of those adaptations will be to use of 3D prints based on 3D documentation data collected as interpretive tools. Does anyone know of any museums that you feel are successfully using 3D prints in education programs or in-gallery interpretives?

Thanks

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Adult Learning and Engagement Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: 3D prints in education programs or as in-gallery interpretive tools

Posted 03-14-2018 07:16 AM
    Hi Mike
    we are currently working with a new company here in the DC area called Building Momentum and they are helping us create 3 D prints that will be mounted as touch models in our new Museum opening in 2019. Feel free to email me jeyl@spymuseum.org and I can give you specifics. 
    Jackie

Jacqueline Eyl
    Youth Education Director
    International Spy Museum
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: 3D prints in education programs or as in-gallery interpretive tools

Posted 03-14-2018 07:48 AM
      |   view attached
    Mark,

Gumbo Limbo Nature Center, City of Boca Raton, is using a sea Turtle Nest / Egg Display through Florida International University (FIU) and Daruma Tech, that was installed for their February Turtle Day.

Cory Keester-O'Mills, Exhibits Coordinator, was in-charge of the project with Mark A. Marine from FIU.

I attempted to attach a picture of the exhibit to this post.

I believe extra "eggs" were available for visitors to touch and that 2 different materials were used to produce the eggs so that 1 felt warmer than the other to simulate how the warmth of the eggs actually determine different sexes of the turtles while they are still in the eggs.

My last update on this project was over a month ago and I have asked for an update.

Richard Griswold
    (561) 990-1625

• 4.  RE: 3D prints in education programs or as in-gallery interpretive tools

Posted 03-15-2018 07:41 AM
    The nest area where the eggs are, in the display, is actually open in the front so visitors can reach in and feel the different eggs and their different ambient temperature (some were metal).

They are also finishing printing some hatchlings to add to the exhibit.

Richard Griswold
    Director
    (561) 990-1625

• 5.  RE: 3D prints in education programs or as in-gallery interpretive tools

Posted 03-14-2018 02:09 PM

Hi, Mark -

The ability to capture and reproduce 3D geometry is changing the museum world for the better in many ways, and interpretive content/aids is one of them.  I've been using it with increasing frequency in my work, and even I've been developing a traveling natural history exhibit in which all of the display specimens are 3D prints.  The exhibit has not yet been in a museum, but field testing of the content in schools (K-12), library STEM programs, and with professional educators has been very successful.  The 3D printed macromodels enable greater understanding of the structure and function of the actual biological specimens at the core of the exhibit which cannot really be as effectively demonstrated any other way due to their microscopic size. 

It's especially great to be able to offer large format display models behind the glass (inside vitrines) and also offer smaller hand-held versions for visitors to touch, as tactile examination often cements the message on a more visceral level.  The hand-held versions can be produced economically and relatively quickly, making replacement easier.  (If the hosting museum has a 3D printer, they can even print the replacements themselves in-house as needed.)  If you'd like to learn more about how I've been using this technology, feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

• 6.  RE: 3D prints in education programs or as in-gallery interpretive tools

Posted 03-14-2018 02:27 PM
    Hello Mark,
     Always great to hear from you and your wornderful ongoings. The MFA boston I know has been engaging in  3D  printing for access. I also met with an artist, British, Tim Collins ?, who was completing an artist in residency at Institute of Art Chicago.  You could see him work with the printers through a glass.  Anyway, I wanted him to come over to the Frost Art but we did not have the funds at the time. 
    ​​

Miriam Machado
    CURATOR OF EDUCATION
    Frost Art Museum
    Florida International University

Miami FL

• 7.  RE: 3D prints in education programs or as in-gallery interpretive tools

Posted 03-15-2018 08:29 AM
    We've had success using 3D-printed models on our tactile tours for guests who are blind or who have low vision. For our largest artifacts, like houses, we've been told that it is helpful in being able to take in the entirety of the artifact before touching parts of it. For example, the Dymaxion House is so unique in form that having a model to hold before touching the outer aluminum sheeting and interior elements helps to create context. We have done the same with die cast cars, but 3D printing helps to fill in the gaps where no produced models exist.

Kate Morland
    Manager, Museum and Exhibits
    The Henry Ford
    Dearborn MI

• 8.  RE: 3D prints in education programs or as in-gallery interpretive tools

Posted 03-16-2018 10:18 AM
    Hi Mark,

The Art Institute of Chicago has been integrating 3D prints into educational programs in recent years. As Miriam mentioned, the 2014 artist in residence, Tom Burtonwood, works in the medium of 3D printing. His open studio was a wonderful incubator for creative thinking and interpretation with visitors of all ages.

I also incorporate 3D printed replicas in our tours for visitors with blindness and low vision and also for people living with Alzheimer's and their care partners. This began with an IMLS Sparks Ignition grant that the museum received in 2013. You can read a nice blog post about that project here: Getting Through the Glass, Getting Hands On! New Tour Experiences using 3D Printing and access the Final IMLS Evaluation Report. There's also a short feature in AAMD Next Practices in Digital and Technology.

We've also been experimenting with laser engraving to reproduce items in low relief, like a Japanese carved woodblock. Initially produced as a tactile aid for people with blindness, the reproduction sparked such interest that it was actually installed next to its original in an exhibition on the woodblock printing process for all to enjoy and touch. That's one example of how we consistently recognize that resources and accommodations for people with disabilities invariably benefit all our visitors. The 3D prints are very popular with our docents and students on school tours. We are diverse and multisensory learners. For many, touch or sound can be equally or more effective learning strategies than sight. Personally, handling our 3D printed replicas has helped me see new things in some objects that I had been lecturing about for years.

Best,
    Lucas

Lucas Livingston
    Assistant Director, Accessibility and Lifelong Learning
    Art Institute of Chicago
    llivingston@artic.edu

• 9.  RE: 3D prints in education programs or as in-gallery interpretive tools

Posted 03-16-2018 11:56 AM

A quick anecdote on the observation that Lucas makes about humans being multi-sensory learners:

While viewing the famous (and exquisite!) statue of Nefertiti in the Neues Museum (Berlin), I noticed a bronze reproduction of the statue on a nearby pedestal with no vitrine and a Braille text plaque beneath.  Being one of the most iconic and popular items in the museum, there was a lot of traffic through the Nefertiti gallery.

During the 20 minutes or so that I spent in that room, nearly every visitor who came to view the statue put their hands on that bronze replica before they left, and none of them were visually impaired.  The intent behind the replica may have been to enable a more complete experience for a specific subset of the visitor population, but it was doing so for all of us.  We are tactile learners! 

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT