Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thoughts related to holidays

Posted 07-20-2021 04:13 PM
    Hi all,
    I'm looking at my museum's holiday schedule as we move to include Juneteenth among our paid staff holidays. Until 2014 my museum was a city department, so it has been closed to the public on federal holidays, with staff having paid holidays on those days. A number of holidays fall on Mondays when we are already closed, so no problem, and we will continue to be closed on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.  I'm of two minds about the holidays that rotate around the week though - 4th of July, New Years Day, Veterans Day, and Juneteenth.

Due to our previous affiliation as a city department, we close on whatever day those holidays fall, but I'm inclined to change that so we are open on those days unless they fall on a Monday when we are not open. I can see strong reasons to be open (from community, tourism, and education perspectives), but I can also see some rationale to continue being closed. I'd love to hear how others approach this.

A small staff/board working group will be discussing implementing "floating holidays" for staff, but that doesn't address the open/closed question which they will also tackle and make a recommendation about. I'd like to share how others have approached this with that group.

Also, if you have moved from being closed on holidays to being open to the public, I'd like to hear your thoughts on best ways for getting the staff on board, as some will have to work on a day that was traditionally a day off.

Thanks all!
    Keni

------------------------------
    Keni Sturgeon
    Executive Director
    Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center
    Wenatchee WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Thoughts related to holidays

Posted 07-21-2021 11:12 AM

Howdy Keni,

When I was curator at the San Bernardino County Museum, we were open all holidays save Christmas and Thanksgiving.

We only opened the exhibits, and staffing was limited to necessary security, education, and custodial staff. Among those staff, they traded holidays worked and were able to bank those holiday hours to be used later.

Sincerely,

Chris

J. Chris Sagebiel, collections manager, TxVP

Texas Vertebrate Paleontology Collections

J.J. Pickle Campus, The University of Texas

10100 Burnet Road, VPL Bldg. 6

Austin, Texas 78758

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Thoughts related to holidays

Posted 07-22-2021 08:44 AM

I'd suggest learning more about probable, possible, and actual visitation on those days. Answers will be different for every museum based on local tourism patterns, local events (or lack thereof), school calendars, etc etc. 

Just some stray thoughts and, again, your answers and conclusions will be unique:

1. Does the holiday relate to your mission and content? If it does, maybe be open for a special programming. Especially with Juneteenth. There are so many opportunities to get on the ground floor starting an annual event that will be anticipated by your community.
    2. Does the holiday fall in your tourism season? If so, maybe be open for tourists.
    3. Unless tourism dominated by other activities, for example museums in areas with lots to do outside (trails, rafting) might not want to open (unless it rains!!)
    4. What else is going on in your area? If there is nothing, then that's an opportunity. If lots and the event or events are far from you drawing crowds away, maybe not open. If there is a large annual event near your museum (A parade that passes by for example) that draws people to you, then that's an opportunity. If there is nothing else going on in your community, wow, what an opportunity to be the place to be. Even a concert on that day would be awesome way to associate your museum with the holiday. (In an appropriate way of course.)
    5. Is school in session? If so and you appeal to families, maybe not bother, but if your content can be adapted for adult programming, this could be the perfect time to host retirees or programing aimed at stay-at-home parents. (Again, with Juneteenth there is an opportunity, "How to talk to your kids about slavery and the meaning of Juneteenth" would be interesting to offer parents) 
    6. If school is NOT in session parents could be begging for something to do with their kids. 
    7. Is their a community partner you could team up with on programming. Collaborating with them on special programming for a holiday could be quite successful.

There are so many more questions to ask yourself, your community, and your visitors (both real and potential) before you reach a definitive answer. And don't be afraid to experiment. 

I hope this helps and good luck,

Matthew White PhD
    Museum Liaison
    Capitol Museum Services
    Manassas VA

• 4.  RE: Thoughts related to holidays

Posted 07-22-2021 09:39 AM
    Our museums are open Tuesday - Sunday and closed on Monday. We are closed on Easter, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. For other federal holidays that fall on a day of the week that the museums are open (President's Day, July 4th, Juneteenth & Veterans' Day), employees work and then take the day at a later time. 

Hope this is helpful!
    Lori

Lori Quarles
    Membership/Outreach Coordinator
    Mississippi Civil Rights Museum
    Jackson MS