Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Crowd Funding

Posted 12-11-2017 06:28 AM
    We are considering Crowd Funding to partially fund a museum renovation. Does anyone recommend a good App for such an effort?
    --
    Miller Williams
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Crowd Funding

Posted 12-12-2017 10:36 AM
    Following.

------------------------------
    David Beard
    Executive Director
    USS KIDD Veterans Memorial Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Crowd Funding

Posted 12-12-2017 11:22 AM
    Miller, we have done three crowd funding projects to assist us to raise money to repaint historic aircraft. Each has been successful at varying degree. It is my observation that this takes a lot of work to make it successful, requires a pre-established strong social media network and a lot of time from marketing staff. We have used Indie-go-go and Kickstarter. I also think that what plane we were working on made a big difference as some aircraft are more prominent and significant than others. For example, we met our goal for the B-29 and B-52 as those are big unique airplanes. We struggled to meet goal for the fighter planes.

James Walther
    Executive Director
    National Museum of Nuclear Science and History
    Albuquerque NM

• 4.  RE: Crowd Funding

Posted 12-12-2017 02:13 PM
    Good afternoon-
    We completed a crowdfund effort in November.  The effort was part of the closing tactics in a $ 1.26 million capital campaign.  The crowdfund goal was $ 30k  and we reached slightly more than $ 32k.  We worked with a non-profit organization called Oregon's Kitchen Table which provides technical and strategic support for other non-profit initiatives.  Oregon's Kitchen Table  

Their website has information about crowdfunding that might be helpful to you.  They use the 'go fund me' platform if I recall.  It does not require that you hit your goal to get funds which some other platforms do.  
    Several things to consider.   Just as with any fundraising effort,  for success you need to come out of the gate with momentum which means lining up lead gifts to 'prime the pump'.   Crowdfunding campaigns generally succeed when there's a sense of urgency--we were told that they should last no more or less than about 34 days.  The span of two pay periods for potential donors.  I agree with other commentators who said that you need to have a strong following in your community--an active social media presence is critical.  Many of our staunch supporters who are not in the social media demographic did not respond or expressed reluctance to participate in crowdfunding.  

Let me know if I can be of help answering other questions.

David Porter
    Executive Director
    Leach Botanical Garden
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: Crowd Funding

Posted 12-13-2017 03:14 PM

www.Patreon.com seems to have real potential. 

I've not seen many examples from a museum but it seems to have all the tools available to create an ongoing, crowd funding situation as well as a new way to engage the public.  

Here's a strong example of a Patreon page about art history https://www.patreon.com/lonelypalette/posts

Michelle Cate, Registrar

McFaddin-Ward Historic House Museum

725 Third Street

Beaumont, Texas 77701

• 6.  RE: Crowd Funding

Posted 12-13-2017 06:13 AM
    Here are a couple of resources from our website that might be helpful for you: 
    The Four Faces of Peer-to-Peer Events
    Benefactor Group remove preview
    The Four Faces of Peer-to-Peer Events
    Why, What, and How Peer-to-peer events are an amazingly fast-growing source of funding. P2P event fundraising grew 55% in 2015. The top 30 peer fundraising programs alone raised nearly $1,530,000,000 in 2016. Tapping into the deep and wide networks of your supporters make P2P events an excellent way to recruit ...
    View this on Benefactor Group >

Peer-to-Peer Fundraising: Tips from the field
    Benefactor Group remove preview
    Peer-to-Peer Fundraising: Tips from the field
    Peer-to-peer fundraising can work for any organization. It can create significant funding and brand awareness. It activates social networks, both online and offline. For example, the recently released Peer-to-Peer 30 indicates nearly $1.6 billion was raised by just the 30 largest such programs in 2014. Collectively, they engaged more than ...
    View this on Benefactor Group >

I believe that the Nonprofit Technology Network (nten.org) may have a review of crowdfunding platforms.

Laura MacDonald
    President
    Benefactor Group, LLC
    Columbus OH