Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cleaning needlepoint

Posted 02-07-2019 01:53 PM
    I have a question from our textile conservator (believe it or not!)  regarding a set of very - food - soiled needlepoint chair covers (were attached as in upholstery) she  has tried to clean them in the least invasive manner, but finds they are still dull and organic matter is lodge in the fibres and weave.

They are each 15" X 15", linen canvas worked in wool  - ground & motif all wool, multi-colored, dating from the first quarter of the 20th c.

She originally used Talas in NYC as a supplier, but they have closed.

Has anyone used Vulpex on textiles in a non-aqueous mixture with mineral spirits?  Does anyone have a suggestion? experience?

Thank you!

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Cleaning needlepoint

Posted 02-08-2019 08:32 AM
    ​I am a fiber artist and actually have done needlepoint for 50 years and owned a fiber arts studio for 9.  There is a product called eucalan (made in Canada).  I swear by it for wool. you can safely soak your needlepoint in this with cold water.  If it's really soiled, you may need to soak a couple of times.  Speak to the Eucalan people, I have never had it fade color and it does not leave a residue in the fibers.  I have even cleaned my oriental rugs MYSELF safely, using this product.
    Jill A. Deal
    Jilldeal,inc of MIlford, PA
    (Professional note.*  Even though I am now employed with Colonial Williamsburg, the experience I detail for you is before my employment with the Foundation and was as an Independent Business Owner)

------------------------------
    Jill Deal
    Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Cleaning needlepoint

Posted 02-08-2019 09:36 AM
    Also, BTW, Talas is still open:
    Bookbinding Materials & Archival Supplies for Conservation | TALAS
    Good Luck!

Stefani Mar
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Cleaning needlepoint

Posted 02-08-2019 11:22 AM
    Hello Vivian,

Has your conservator tried contacting the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC), www.conservation-us.org?  The website has a lot of great information and a directory.

Elise

Elise LeCompte
    Registrar
    Florida Museum of Natural History - University of Florida
    Gainesville FL