Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Old Tobacco

Posted 05-17-2017 11:09 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello,

I have a noob question, is there any way to properly handle old tobacco (100 yrs old)? I have a picture attached below. I'm going to transfer it to a different display case.

Thank you,
    Aidan

------------------------------
    Aidan Woodham
    West Pasco Historical Society
    New Port Richey FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Old Tobacco

Posted 05-18-2017 10:03 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi, Aidan - 

Do you mean in terms of conservation/picking it up safely and moving it due to its fragility? I know it gets flaky when it's dried out - I'd gently scoot a piece of cardstock or something similarly thin and rigid underneath it and move it that way.

If you mean in terms of disposing of it in a ritual way, you can always get a shell and smudge with it outside the museum.

L

Leah Bowe
    Collections Consultant - NAGPRA
    Department of Heritage Preservation
    Minnesota Historical Society
    St. Paul MN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Old Tobacco

Posted 05-18-2017 10:47 AM
    Ms. Leah,

I did mean picking it up and moving it somewhere else. Thank you for the information!

Aidan

Aidan Woodham
    New Port Richey FL

• 4.  RE: Old Tobacco

Posted 05-18-2017 03:23 PM
    I spoke with our state Cooperative Extension Service office head.  His suggestion is when you remove the tobacco from one case that you leave it as it was stacked in the exhibit - on a table.  Leave it on that table for at least a few hours so humidity can re-enter the leaves.  Then you can safely put them in the new exhibit.  Do not separate the leaves because they will immediately dry out and crumble.  Hope this helps.

Susan Wolfe
    Executive Director
    St. Mary's County Historical Society
    Leonardtown MD

• 5.  RE: Old Tobacco

Posted 05-19-2017 09:05 PM
    Thank you for replying Ms. Susan, would this work even though the cases are not temperature controlled?

Aidan Woodham
    New Port Richey FL