Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  New acquisitions

Posted 12-06-2016 02:50 PM

Greeting All,

We have a general question for anyone willing to share their advice and expertise.

We have recently partnered with an artist to create an exhibition utilizing his photographs. The photographs were sent to us digitally and the museum utilized its own resources to print and frame each one. The physical photographs are ours, for in-house and traveling exhibition use.

We have a copy right agreement in place, detailing specific copyright restrictions set by the artist, including an honorarium for each venue the exhibit is borrowed by. My question is this: aside from a copyright agreement should a deed of gift be set in place?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience! 

------------------------------
    Victoria
    Registrar
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: New acquisitions

Posted 12-14-2016 09:36 AM

I would say yes, because otherwise the photographs could still be considered the artist's. To make things easier, I would ask for a gift agreement to be signed. This will also enable you to properly accession them.

Kali Mason

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more