Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Grade 6-12 student reproduction rights policy examples?

Posted 03-23-2018 06:46 PM

Hello membership,

I'm wondering if any of your institutions have policies specific to the 6-12 student researcher crowd?

We get enough photography, filming, and image reproduction requests from young people to warrant special protocols (students primarily look to publish their projects online), and I am wondering how other museums handle these requests. I want to encourage young researchers to use Museum resources, and I'm not concerned with monetary loss as much as I am thinking about miss-attribution or miss-information of content that has such a wide circulation online (specifically that relating to Jane Addams and the Hull-House settlement).

Handing an 8th grader our standard Photographic Rights & Reproductions form seems highly unfit (and their signature isn't legal anyway) but I wonder if by offering something more simplified we can encourage students to be mindful of how and where they share images. 

I know managing the circulation of images online is futile, but the optimistic archivist in me thinks teaching about copyright early could possibly make a difference!

Below is a plain-text copy of what I thought to be a good start. If anyone else has worked on anything similar or has insight, I'd love to hear from you!

----

STUDENT RESEARCH PERMISSIONS

The use of images is permitted for educational purposes with the understanding that the Jane Addams Hull-House Museum holds exclusive rights to the reproduction of images. Students grade 6-12 may take photographs of collection materials and document the Jane Addams Hull-House Museum for personal reference and research only. To reproduce images online, in print, or for exhibition, permission must be approved by an authorized museum employee

In order to receive permission to reproduce Museum images, complete the information below, and a Museum employee will contact you with further instructions as applicable.

To be completed by Student:

Applicant Name:

Applicant Contact Email:

Applicant School:

Applicant Grade:

Applicant Teacher:

Description of Project:

To be completed by Jane Addams Hull-House Museum:

Request received by:                   

------------------------------
    Kara Jefts
    Collections Assistant
    Jane Addams Hull-House Museum - University of Illinois at Chicago
    Chicago IL
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Grade 6-12 student reproduction rights policy examples?

Posted 03-26-2018 08:36 AM

Kara:

I'm not an attorney and you might wish to consult one for a more definitive legal opinion.  However, whatever final format your student reproduction rights form takes, you might consider requiring that a parent/guardian sign the form in addition to the student.  If appropriate language regarding the parent/guardian signature is included, if should be possible for them to assume legal responsibility for their child's adherence to any photo identification requirements you might have.  If nothing else, parental knowledge of these expectations through requiring their signature may introduce a helpful element of oversight to the project. 

I have used this approach when the transaction goes the other way – minor age students granting permission for reproduction of their work of art (in this case a poem) via appropriate language in a contest entry form that requires a parental/guardian signature in addition to the student's. 

John

John E. Coraor, Ph.D.
    Director of Cultural Affairs
    Town of Huntington
    100 Main Street
    Huntington, NY   11743-6991
    631-351-3099
    FAX:  631-351-3100
    jcoraor@HuntingtonNY.gov

___________________ CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE ___________________: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential or legally privileged information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law and is intended only for the individual or entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that the Town can arrange for proper delivery, and then please delete the message from your Inbox. Thank you.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more