Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mold-a-Ramas and other small revenue interactives

Posted 04-14-2017 05:20 PM
    At our museum we have an outdated Rocket Scale minimal interactive that generates very little revenue. I'm looking for a new revenue generator interactive to possibly replace it. We recently purchased a penny smasher that generates a monthly average around $160 and I was hoping for some suggestions and/or institutions willing to share revenue statistics with me on your small interactives. I know mold-a-ramas are popular, so that was an example I thought of.  We are a free admission museum that averages 119,000 annual attendance. 

Thank you ahead of time for any feedback.

------------------------------
    Megan O'Kon
    Coordinator of Interpretation
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Mold-a-Ramas and other small revenue interactives

Posted 04-17-2017 11:09 AM
    Hi Ms. O'Kon!

We have made creative revenue-generating interactives for a handful of museums/sites. For one museum client, we made a cannon that was a donation receptacle. You put in money, and it responded with a big "boom" sound. We have made similar themed receptacles at other places too. If you want, we could connect you with one of the museums that we made one of these for, and you could chat with them about whether it has generated revenue or not - if so, you can email me at cbrusatte@taylorstudios.com.

We also have written a couple of "how to create revenue" posts on our blog recently. Don't know if you'll find these helpful! :)
    http://www.taylorstudios.com/blog/create-new-revenue-streams-cultural-site/
    http://www.taylorstudios.com/blog/create-new-revenue-streams-cultural-site-part-two/

Hope that this helps!
    Chris Brusatte (and Betty Brennan)

Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more