Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual educational content

Posted 03-30-2020 08:43 AM
    Hello all!

I know we've seen a lot of "take a virtual tour of our museums" online options (which is awesome!), but does anyone have any leads on online museum content that is geared to assist classroom or structured learning? Especially from museums outside of the US? (For example, Ford's Theatre has teaching resources they've created along with an online oratory program.)

Thanks!!

------------------------------
    Mariah Flanagan
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Virtual educational content

Posted 03-31-2020 07:09 AM
    Hello, all!

We educators at various Smithsonian units and with the coordination of a small response team have created a repository of our collected online resources.

www.learninglab.si.edu/distancelearning

On the back end of this is a Google spreadsheet with specific tabs that correspond to the webpage's sub-headlines. Each unit has a representative who populated the spreadsheet with existing resources. As they are made, new resources will be added. 

We we decided to align the resources with Common Core standards, group them by grade band, and provide a "preview" of the themes or topics within each link. Our hope was to ease teachers' use of what we knew would be a substantial list. 

I hope this serves your needs!

Elizabeth Dale-Deines
    Teacher Programs Coordinator
    Smithsonian Affiliations
    Arlington VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Virtual educational content

Posted 03-31-2020 07:14 AM
    Hi;
    I know parents in Israel would want fresh  content regarding USA Urban experience, preferably in Hebrew, Under usual circumstances unless in a private school the day is over at about 1:30. I'm talking about the state schools. 
    I also study and speak Arabic in addition to Hebrew and write cartoons.  Which museums are developing graphic pluralistic stories? I'm formally a math teacher with the NYC Board of.Education. I'd send some videos to you all.
    All the best,
    Ida Farkash Jerusalem 

• 4.  RE: Virtual educational content

Posted 03-31-2020 09:29 AM
    Hi, the NY Hall of Science has a lot of offerings, many include teacher's guides. Hope this helps. Geralyn
    nysci.org/AtHome
    https://nysci.org/school/play/

Geralyn Abinader
    Creative Producer
    New York Hall of Science
    Corona NY

• 5.  RE: Virtual educational content

Posted 03-31-2020 09:31 AM
    Mariah, clearly, you've already seen our resources, but if it would be helpful to talk about their development or if I can be helpful otherwise, do let me know. We love the EF tours! Sarah

Sarah Jencks
    Director of Education and Interpretation
    Ford's Theatre Society
    Washington DC

• 6.  RE: Virtual educational content

Posted 03-31-2020 10:19 AM
    Hi Mariah,

Have you seen all the options listed in this terrific guide put together by MCN recently? I'm sure you can find what you're looking for here.
    The Ultimate Guide to Virtual Museum Resources | MCN
    MCN remove preview
    The Ultimate Guide to Virtual Museum Resources | MCN
    The Ultimate Guide to Virtual Museum Resources, E-Learning, and Online Collections In the blink of an eye, once-crowded museums sit empty. We're preparing ourselves for social distancing and potential quarantine. This is the time for museum technology to step up and fill the void.
    View this on MCN >
     Best,
    Robin

[Robin White] [Owen]
    [Principal]
    [www.mediacombo.net]
    [robin@mediacombo.net]
    [646-472-5145]

• 7.  RE: Virtual educational content

Posted 04-01-2020 01:08 PM
    This family is doing a virtual journey blog that includes lessons; not sure if it fits your needs, but is certainly more structured than just doing virtual tours.
    Virtual Outings | Mason Bee LLC
    Mason Bee LLC remove preview
    Virtual Outings | Mason Bee LLC
    View this on Mason Bee LLC >

Janeen Trevillyan
    Director
    Sedona Heritage Museum
    Sedona AZ

• 8.  RE: Virtual educational content

Posted 04-02-2020 12:49 PM
    Hi Mariah,

The Dali Museum has put together some structured activities and other resources that I hope you might find useful. We'll continue to build on the content in the coming weeks.

TheDali.org/virtual

Be well,

Sarah Fornof
    Education Coordinator
    Salvador Dali Museum
    St. Petersburg FL