Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Aging Docents and Fading Memory

Posted 09-20-2017 10:49 AM
    Edited by Luke Boyd 09-21-2017 02:05 PM
    As our docent corps continues to get on, the issue of memory loss is something that we are beginning to see.

In the case of a docent role which is heavily front-facing and content recall-heavy, how might we adapt?

We have considered
    • Creating amended roles/assignments on a case-by-case basis
    • Instituting an 'Emeritus' program (which we have seen discussed here before) in which the volunteer is relieved of regular service but remains a part of the group for social/enrichment events.

For some, it seems that work in a museum is clung to as a way to stave off or cope with memory loss, yet at what point does that become a disservice to the visitor?

I appeal to you. If you have any experiences you would care to share, I would be much appreciative.

------------------------------
    Luke Boyd
    Assistant Manager of Interpretive Programs
    National September 11 Memorial & Museum
    New York NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Aging Docents and Fading Memory

Posted 09-21-2017 08:53 AM
    Something that could be nice is if docents were paired up together in a mentoring and co-working type capacity. An older, more experienced docent could show younger docents the ropes, provide insight only their years of experience can offer, and otherwise mentor the younger folks in all manner of career-related things. They could do docent work together, meet together 1-on-1, and/or do group events together. That way folks are still able to work but don't have to worry about having to carry all the work on their own.

Josette S.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Aging Docents and Fading Memory

Posted 09-21-2017 09:49 AM

I would be interested in a response to this questions from others as well.

Natalie Rice-Harris

Human Resources Manager

The Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston 

25 Harbor Shore Drive, Boston, MA 02210 

T: 617-478-3171 

nrice-harris@icaboston.org 

www.icaboston.org 

Stay connected

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram 

• 4.  RE: Aging Docents and Fading Memory

Posted 09-21-2017 10:52 AM
    As the Baby Boomers age and turn to museum work or volunteering, problems with aging volunteers/staff will become increasing common. We in the field have big hearts and want to provide aging employees and volunteers with meaningful work. Nevertheless we must remember that the quality of the experience we offer visitors is of primary importance.

When I worked at Conner Prairie, a living history museum, we faced issues, not as much with memory, but with reduced energy for engaging guests, especially school children. We made some very difficult decisions.

I am interested in the issues you raise and would like to follow the thread.

Ellen Rosenthal
    Retired President and CEO, Conner Prairie
    Fishers IN

• 5.  RE: Aging Docents and Fading Memory

Posted 09-21-2017 02:45 PM
    Edited by Luke Boyd 09-21-2017 02:46 PM
    ​Thank you for these responses!

• With the 'Silver Tsunami' making landfall the museum world will be effected by this on the volunteer/docent side as well.
    • As for mentoring, we have had great success with this at the 9/11 Memorial & Museum. Our last docent cohort had mentors who had been previously trained work alongside them. This not only assuaged their fears and concerns about the work, but it knit the docent corps together in a wholly new way, breaking down cleavages between the various classes.
    • I do believe the Emeritus is the ultimate end goal of these cases of faded memory, and that each case presents its own considerations before reaching that eventual point.
    • I wonder if there are any reading materials anyone might recommend for managing groups such as these?

Luke Boyd
    Assistant Manager of Interpretive Programs
    National September 11 Memorial & Museum
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: Aging Docents and Fading Memory

Posted 09-21-2017 02:48 PM
    Hi Luke,

Finding the right approach for helping a long-time volunteer facing memory loss has to be one of the most difficult and devastating parts of managing volunteers. The two strategies you mentioned are both good options. A potential intermediate step can also be pairing the volunteer up with another volunteer or staff member who can help make sure the visitor experience isn't compromised. That can be useful when memory loss is just starting to become apparent but is inconsistent on when it is problem or not.  Creating roles that allow the volunteer to still maintain the social connections with other volunteers or the educational connection to the museum are great. Greeter or tour time keeper roles can be ways to keep the volunteer together with his or her team of volunteers, but removes more detailed visitor interactions.  An emeritus program can be a great benefit for other volunteers who need to step back from a regular shift due to other types of health problems or who are just ready to retire from volunteering but still want to come to the social and educational parts of the program.

Ultimately my approach in this situation is to have a conversation with the volunteer and figure out together what the right option is. It can be a really difficult conversation, but it allows us to talk through the museum's needs, the volunteer's needs and find a solution that works. Sometimes those conversations have gone well - the volunteer has brought the problem to our attention or knows it is happening and was scared to say something. In those instances we are usually able to modify the role and keep them engaged in the program in an appropriate way. Sometimes it has not gone well and volunteers will quit immediately, either due to embarrassment or anger, or refuse to change their volunteer role at all and wont consider any modifications.  The latter is probably the toughest, but ultimately the museum has to do what is best for their visitors, even if it means a volunteer leaves the program unhappily.

I'm interested to hear other ideas or strategies people have come up with.

Jenny Woods
    Manager of Volunteer Programs
    Seattle Art Museum

• 7.  RE: Aging Docents and Fading Memory

Posted 09-21-2017 03:17 PM
    ​We've also noticed one of our longest serving/oldest docent seems to be having more frequent issues with memory. I am on the periphery of this issue here but I don't think anyone has had serious discussions on what to do or taken any action.  But as I read your inquiry I wondered if in your case as in ours you know the docent's family.  If so perhaps you (and perhaps we) could have a discrete conversation with the docent's spouse/partner or children to see what they've noticed and learn what they've been doing to help their loved one cope and remain active.  They might be able to offer you insight on how to help the docent transition into a different a role at your facility.  Also if you express your concerns it may help them better access their loved ones status and come to grips with what they may otherwise not know the full scope of.  The family would hopefully a good ally when the time comes in having that difficult discussion with the docent about taking the step back. 

I hope that helps, I know from some personal experience with family these conversations are not an easy thing for anyone. 

Best wishes,

Katherine Owens
    Curator of Collections
    Missouri State Museum
    Jefferson City, MO