Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Firearms registration

Posted 03-29-2018 08:27 PM

I work with a varied collection that includes two very old firearms: a revolver from 1860 and an undated old-fashioned pistol. We are located in California, and they are currently on display to small groups of visitors. I was wondering if anyone knew if there is any type of registration necessary for firearms of that age that reside in a museum-type collection. Even if nothing is required, is there a general best practice in the museum field for registering or in some way disclosing the institutional ownership of these items?

Thank you!

-- 

NIKKI ODER  

Archives Registrar 

WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES

id:<a href=image001.png@01D35D39.9BFE9C30">

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Firearms registration

Posted 03-30-2018 09:37 AM

Great question!

As far as federal laws apply, the pistol from 1860 is not legally a firearm. Being manufactured prior to 1899 (and not falling into one of several categories which would place it elsewhere), it is an Antique. To the federal government, it is just metal and wood for all they care. The other gun you describe is possibly in this category as well, but "old-fashioned" is not enough to go on (please feel free to email me pics and any markings). California uses the federal definition of Antique, so you seem to be good there. 

Also, there is no federal gun registry. There never has been. There are some local and state regulations along these lines, but they are specific to jurisdictions. 

Regarding California, There is no registration requirement except for owners of assault weapons and "personal handgun importers," so it sounds like you are OK. 

I hope this has been helpful!

Keep in mind that there are a number of us who are Museum Professionals and 'gun guys'. Many of us are happy to answer questions like this. If you want to know more in-depth info, there are opportunities to learn more. I teach with the International Preservation Studies Center (Formerly the Campbell Center - currently moving to Freeport, Illinois). David Harvey is in your neck of the woods (I know he will see this so I will let him out himself). Additionally, the second "Arsenals of History" firearms symposium will be in Cody, Wyoming, at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West May 21–23 (https://centerofthewest.org/event/firearms-symposium/).

Good luck!

------------------------------
    David Kennedy
    Curator of Collections and Exhibits
    US Marshals Museum
    Fort Smith, AR

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Firearms registration

Posted 03-30-2018 10:34 AM
    Nicole:
    David is correct on all of the points he made related to your firearms.  I know that David and our Firearms Curator Ashley Hlebinsky and others are working on firearms information and standards of care for museums.  Institutions like ours are ready to help you and other museums properly handle, store and care for firearms.  
    Best wishes,
    Bruce

Bruce Eldredge
    Executive Director and CEO
    Buffalo Bill Center of the West
    Cody WY

• 4.  RE: Firearms registration

Posted 03-30-2018 04:15 PM
    As they are antiques, other than good record keeping in the event of theft, I see nothing special that is required, even in California.

David Beard
    Executive Director
    USS KIDD Veterans Memorial Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

• 5.  RE: Firearms registration

Posted 04-02-2018 10:49 AM
    ​Hi there neighbor!

Please contact the conservation department at the Oakland Museum of California (objects conservator Allison Lewis) - their collection was recently assessed I believe and you might find it interesting to have a chat with them!

S

Steven Sciscenti
    Asian Art Museum of San Francisco
    San Francisco CA

• 6.  RE: Firearms registration

Posted 07-25-2018 12:35 PM
    David is correct. I was the Curator for the Navy SEAL Museum and we had a lot of firearms. The weapons inventory was given to the US Naval Historical Center, ATF, and the local sheriff. If anything ever came up missing and showed up at a pawn shop or gun store the museum would have recourse. 

A good read on the rules of Curios and Relics 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

Benjamen Salata
    Project Manager
    Luxam Inc.
    Coral Springs FL