Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Housing Collection Items at another organization

Posted 04-30-2017 03:49 PM
    Does anyone have experience having your organization's collections items housed at another organization's facility? I have been asked to help a brand new museum develop a collections policy. This museum literally has no room for collection storage, but the director has expressed interested in taking in more donations relating to the museum. She is particularly interested in photographs, but also small objects. The collection items that the museum currently has are all on display and on loan. Anyway, I've brought up with the director that another local organization is planning to build a new, off-site collections storage facility. We could possibly do a partnership with this organization to house our collection items with them. But then we would also like to maintain possession of these items. We have worked with this other organization already for photographs in our exhibits. Does anyone have experience with this sort of deal? Or possibly examples of your collections policy? Any advice would be appreciated or I can elaborate further if necessary. Thank you in advance!

------------------------------
    Jakob Etrheim
    Collections Assistant
    Kandiyohi County Historical Society
    Willmar MN
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Housing Collection Items at another organization

Posted 05-01-2017 09:43 AM
    Hi Jakob:

This is something that we do with another state agency.  We store a portion of their collection and register them in our database, but they maintain ownership. We have a curatorial agreement or a memorandum of understanding (I don't remember the exact name) that representatives of our organizations have signed, which spells out exactly who is responsible for what.  It spells out whose insurance covers damage or loss, says that we'll treat their pieces with the same standards as our artifacts, that we'll keep their collection in climate controlled storage, and that we must get their permission prior to displaying anything in our own exhibits.  It also says that they maintain ownership and that they can use the pieces as they see fit.

If both organizations are OK with the arrangement you've mentioned, drawing up an agreement like that would be a good first step.  It protects both parties from potential misunderstandings or abuse.  It might not be a bad idea to talk to a lawyer about it, but I don't know much about that. 

I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Geoffrey Woodcox
    Assistant Curator of Collections
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more