Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

• 1.  Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-15-2017 05:43 PM
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone had some advice about what to use my museum studies M.A. degree for other than working in a museum? I graduated in 2015, but I've only had 3 museum-based interviews despite hundreds of applications since then. I do have prior experience with volunteer work/internships and a little bit of art gallery work.

I work as an Editorial Assistant for a website that writes about museums, but I'd like to work full-time in a museum; however, at this point it seems like it is not going to happen. Because of this, I've decided to leave the museum field and look for a position where I can use the skills I have (curation, exhibition development, interpretive planning, collections management, etc.) somewhere else. I've looked at several design firms as possibilities and received several "we don't have any current openings, but please send us your resume for future consideration" messages, which is great, but I'd like something sooner rather than later.

Does anyone know of any other places that would want someone with museum skills?

------------------------------
    Michael Appleby
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-17-2017 09:03 AM

Hello, Michael -

You might want to keep an eye on Smithsonian Institution.  They're huge, and frequently have positions available.  Not all of them will be appropriate for your skill set, but some might. D.C. comes with a very high cost of living (driven primarily by housing costs), but not all Smithsonian entities are located there.  

Good luck,

Michael

Current Openings | OHR |Smithsonian

Si remove preview
    Current Openings | OHR |Smithsonian
    View this on Si >

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-17-2017 09:41 AM
    I'm sorry things haven't worked out so far.

Have you looked into non-profits in general?  There are lots of organizations that would probably make good use of the skills you've gained in your studies and work experiences.  I recently checked out the non-profit association for my home state and they have quite a bit more listed on their website and has more recently listed positions than some museum job pages I've seen.

Have you looked into libraries?  They're slightly different and to be a librarian you need a different degree, but there might be other types of jobs that would be a fit for your skill set.  Our state library has an outreach coordinator, people who work on programming, and other things that don't necessarily require an MLIS.  The possibilities are about as diverse as in our field.

It might be a way to broaden the net a little bit.

Geoffrey Woodcox
    Assistant Curator of Collections
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

• 4.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-17-2017 10:34 AM
    Hi Michael!

It's a shame you haven't had any luck in the field. What other skills/work experience do you have outside of museums? Perhaps knowing that will help us give you recommendations. :)

Claire Aldenhuysen
    Museum Educator
    National Model Aviation Museum, Academy of Model Aeronautics
    Muncie IN

• 5.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-17-2017 12:39 PM
    Hi Michael,

That's so tough.  Many of us have struggled with disappointment in the field.  It might help you to list the skills you have gained- partnership building, public relations, educating, strategic planning, collections management, event planning, human resources, research, public programming, conserving and preserving, consulting etc.?  And look for organizations you respect that have positions that require those skills.

Consider applying to the following entities 
    - government parks (regional, state, and national- this can tie into culture, history, and natural sciences)
    - botanic gardens
    -zoos
    -aquariums
    -historic homes
    -historic site
    -visitor centers
    -cultural/heritage centers
    -community centers
    -historical societies
    -libraries
    -non-profit organization
    -tourism organizations (only the ones committed to accuracy
    -government (also consider tribal governments. Some tribes have their own museums and need consultants for grant writing, strategic planning, marketing, community partnerships)
    -Peace Corp 
    -virtual museums
    - theater organizations
    -laborites 
    -any attraction that has a public education component and/or a collection

If you haven't already, individually contact your contacts and ask them for their professional opinions, informational interviews, and perhaps an introduction to new contacts.

If you are able, consider applying for jobs in other states or countries.

Best to you!

Kara
    Oakland, CA

• 6.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-17-2017 11:40 AM
    Hello Michael: 

Academic and Public Libraries are hiring museum professionals for art centers or as archivists. In Miami Dade County Public Libraries there are many art centers within libraries. 

Best of luck!

Isabel Medina

Isabel Medina
    Museum Coordinator
    Archbishop John C. Favalora Archive & Museum
    St. Thomas University Library
    Miami Gardens FL

• 7.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-17-2017 12:42 PM
    Hi Michael,

I think this is an important question that we should think about more, partly because breaking into the field can be such a slog and people who have invested in Museum Studies should have support in widening their net, but also because cross-pollination is so important and there are plenty of people in your situation who could spend these early-career years gaining great experience in for-profits or <g class="gr_ gr_23 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling" id="23" data-gr-id="23">non-profits</g> that would bring new perspective to the field when you do eventually get that dream job. Taking a job outside the field doesn't have to mean giving up on this dream. I have taken several of them.

I think writing and editing as you are currently doing is a great avenue. Some of my other thoughts are:
    - Expo booth design and fabrication. Industry shows go on year-round and businesses spend a lot of money on getting insane new expo booths every year from exhibitry companies dedicated to <g class="gr_ gr_1992 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="1992" data-gr-id="1992">expo</g> booth design.
    - Marketing and PR <g class="gr_ gr_3648 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Grammar multiReplace" id="3648" data-gr-id="3648">is</g> all about condensing complex messages and making them accessible to a wide audience, you probably have great copy-writing skills to apply to jobs in these areas.
    - <g class="gr_ gr_3525 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="3525" data-gr-id="3525">Certainly</g> retail has opportunities to create unique window displays and needs people who understand databases and can keep warehouses organized and the like.
    - Non-profit development: can't have enough people in the field who write grants so good granters can't imagine doing anything but throw money at you! 

If you have interest or experience in the programming side of museums, you might look at fields like:
    - Events planning (preferably more like Comic Con or galas or farmers markets or conference organizing or festivals than wedding planning). You'll gain skills in bringing together many organizations for a common goal, in collaborative marketing, managing small teams that need to be able to manage a huge team for a single day and other skills that will set you up for planning large-scale Museum events).
    - Other informal learning environments. If you have unique interests or skills, there is probably some organization or club dedicated to it with an interest in community outreach. Raft guiding is interpretation, sports coaching is an informal learning environment that uses fully-body immersion to teach complex technical concepts, as well as major life skills. My experience at both informs my practice as a Museum Educator daily. 

- We recently made such a great hire of a woman who has had a career of community organizing, which has manifested in many different ways. She had amazing skills at coming into a community and figuring out what the needs and gaps were and working collaboratively to fill the gaps. She got that job over dozens of people with Museum Studies MAs and who have spent entire careers in museums.

If you do get a job in a totally different field, I highly recommend having a part-time volunteer position with your dream institution at the same time. Even if you come in once a month, it will allow you to demonstrate your continued dedication to the field and might just open the door for that dream job.

I also believe wholeheartedly in the value of being a big fish in a small pond, and if you aren't in your dream job, a smaller business or organization is likely to have better mentorship, more responsibility, require wearing more hats, and more autonomy over your work that will show on a resume later.

Best of luck!

Emily Zinn
    Curator of Youth Programs
    Boulder History Museum
    Boulder CO

• 8.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-17-2017 02:32 PM
    ​Try searching the USA Jobs web site.  A position that you'd love may be there, or it may pique your curiosity.  It is easily searchable for vacancies based on keywords (or by location), but I'll warn you that the application process is very tedious.  Good luck!

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/?k=Museum

Cynthia Riley
    Curator
    U.S. Army Chemical Corps Museum
    Fort Leonard Wood MO

• 9.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-17-2017 04:18 PM
    Hi Michael,

Can you afford to volunteer at a museum?  If you can, volunteering will get your foot on the door.
    You will develop contacts in the field, gain experience, a good reference, and perhaps be on the grapevine should a position open  up at another museum. Make yourself indispensable!. It's the hidden job market.

As for other possible careers, are you most interested in people or objects? (That's the first question I used to ask.) If people, consider teaching/ public relations, fund raising.  If objects, look into research possibilities as an archivist or librarian.. A museum has use for many different career opportunities. especially the large ones.
    Good luck!

Warren Little
    Retired museum director

• 10.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-17-2017 04:29 PM
    Hi Warren,

I've done some volunteering before which lead to an internship, but I haven't done anything in awhile. I might look into volunteering somewhere again though. Thanks for the advice!

Michael Appleby

• 11.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-17-2017 04:19 PM
    Thanks for all the replies.

I'll try to briefly respond to some of them.

Michael, The Smithsonian would be a great opportunity, but it can be quite competitive to get in from what I understand. I have helped out with their Smithsonian Digital Volunteers transcription program (which I recommend for others with free time), for whatever that's worth though. I will check more of their openings!

Geoffrey, I have looked some into local libraries, but so far haven't had any success; I will also look at non-profits in general.

Claire, I have skills in historical research, film editing, some Japanese language knowledge (although it's been about 6 years since I've spoken it regularly) and a little bit of educational skill, but that's a very unique/unorthodox case. For museums, I have training in several areas, but my primary interests/skills are curation (research/writing/exhibition planning) and collections management. I also have experience in label and text panel writing, SketchUp, a little bit in InDesign and Photoshop, but I'd need to refresh myself in them, and some crate building shop-style skills.

Kara, those are good recommendations! I've looked at some of them before, such zoos and historic houses, but I'll look more into the others you listed.

Isabel, thanks for the advice. I will see if there are any archivist position for which I am qualified!

Emily, you brought up several good points. I am interested in creative planning related to conventions, trade shows, theme parks, zoos, aquariums, etc., but have yet to get far. Maybe I'll find something related to what you mentioned!

Cynthia, I know what you mean about the USA Jobs application process. I've applied to some positions on there before, but always found it difficult since so much of their hiring process is based on answering surveys with vague wording.

Michael Appleby

• 12.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-18-2017 08:54 AM
    ​Michael:

I just want to expand on the archivist suggestion. 

In particular you might want to look for those libraries that have special collections units (not necessarily your average community library).  Larger libraries and university libraries might be a good place to start.  These often have collection holdings of letters, manuscripts, recordings, and sometimes even other related objects associated with famous people or events.  Your collection management skills and interest in this aspect of museum work would also be very pertinent to this kind of archival work. 

Other organizations that employ archivists are government agencies on a variety of different levels.  At the local level, municipalities are typically required to retain public records for a specific period of time.  This function is often a duty of the municipal clerk's office (i.e. Village Clerk, Town Clerk, City Clerk).  It is not unusual for those municipalities that have considerable history to employ an archivist to manage their collections of much older records (e.g. my own municipality was founded in 1653 and has a Town archivist who performs this function).  Look for positions in larger and older municipalities as these are more likely to have opportunities, and don't overlook similar archivist positions at the county and/or state level. 

Best wishes for a fruitful search!

John Coraor, PhD
    Director of Cultural Affairs
    Town of Huntington
    Huntington NY

• 13.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-19-2017 05:42 AM
    Have you considered looking for a position with a major arts auction house? The major international ones have several offices nationally; there are also leading local houses throughout the country.

Frances Barrow
    Public Relations, formerly Sotheby's
    Tel Aviv

• 14.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-19-2017 12:30 PM
    Given your interest in and experience with researching history, you may want to look at policy groups - city, county and/or state, as well a NPOs and private groups. The best policy is backed by, based in and informed by historic patterns, trends, and legislation.  Just a thought. Good Luck!

Keni Sturgeon
    Vice President, Science Engagement & Outreach
    Pacific Science Center
    Seattle WA

• 15.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-21-2017 12:29 PM
    Hi Michael,

SketchUp has produced great results for us. One of our volunteers is a retired Parks/Rec employee who has recently used SketchUp to design some custom cabinets for us, and to determine placement of vehicles in an exhibit to make sure our pathways were adequate before even getting them in the building. Sometimes just seeing an accurate floor plan is it's own small victory. 

While still a parks employee, he moved from making technical designs for sculptures and park layouts with SketchUp to designs used as a development tool. A picture is one thing, but being able to virtually walk through a project is every marketing and development officer's dream. One donor developing a local park was so pleased he donated several thousand more dollars after seeing the presentation. Being able to manipulate the design during the meeting made it easy to respond to the donors ideas and communicate very effectively. 

Perhaps volunteering to produce a SketchUp design for a museum as a development tool may give you enough leverage to solicit contract projects from others. Development isn't everyone's favorite aspect of museum work, but every museum needs it. Best of luck to you!

Freya Liggett
    Museum Manager
    Moses Lake Museum & Art Center
    Moses Lake WA

• 16.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-18-2017 11:02 AM
    Michael, I suggest looking at large exhibit design firms; such as Think, Ralph Applebaum and Gallagher & Associates. They often need content coordinators or project managers that need to understand the museum world. I've worked with two of those firms and now I set up my own firm, Museum Environments (sorry I'm not hiring now). The work can be very interesting and engaging. Many of the folks that have worked there have gone off to good museum careers. The director of the Obama Library came of Ralph Applebaum. 
    Wish you best of luck. Mariano

Mariano Desmaras
    Creative Director
    Museum Environments LLC
    New York NY

• 17.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-18-2017 11:15 AM
    Hi, What about museum associations?

Erika Sanger
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of New York
    Troy NY

• 18.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-18-2017 11:16 AM
    Hello Michael,

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you, and I thought I'd let you know what happened to me. I'm currently in academia working at a National Resource Center (a USDoE initiative). I do a lot of event coordination, budgets, and outreach and I hope that my skills will translate back to the museum sector. Along with the typical roles in a university (like archiving, libraries, etc), there might be jobs similar to what I'm doing and it's worth trawling through all of your local university's job postings instead of strictly looking in the museum, arts, and library section. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and I look forward to reading all the additional replies to this topic.

Thanks,
    Bridget McMahon

Bridget McMahon
    MA in Museum & Artefact Studies, Durham University
    Currently Operations Manager at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
    Madison, WI

• 19.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-18-2017 11:26 AM
    Have you looked at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts?  SL

Sandra Lang
    Director, Visual Arts Administ

• 20.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-19-2017 11:15 AM
    As mentioned before there are the large design firms like Applebaum. And there are many other design build firms that use that skill set too. Additionally, many state and county parks also need this skill set. Sometimes jobs are listed on NAI, Parks and Rec Organization, ANCA and the like.

Go get em!

Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL

• 21.  RE: Careers other than museums with a museum studies degree

Posted 07-19-2017 04:21 PM
    These are all great replies, thanks everyone!

I've heard of some of the places mentioned, but not all of them. This will give me several more options to explore!

Michael Appleby