Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Reciprocity

Posted 09-25-2018 05:12 PM
    Trying to gain a general sense of what is required at various institutions for museum professionals to obtain free admission.  If you allow this, what documentation do you require/accept?  Ex. AAM membership card?  Name badge?  Business Card?

------------------------------
    Jennifer Dunham
    Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
    Bentonville AR
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Reciprocity

Posted 09-26-2018 07:02 AM
    we accept all... Just delighted to have colleagues, docents from other museums, etc.discovering us and spreading the word.  Since our biggest challenge is promoting the museum and generating awareness, AND because we invariably hear from visitors on their way out that they did not know what to expect, were blown away and didn't plan enough time!

POSITIVE word of mouth is priceless!

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Reciprocity

Posted 09-26-2018 09:37 AM
    At Van Cortlandt House Museum in The Bronx, we ask for museum colleagues we ask for a business card or an institutional id badge.  For AAM and other member organizations, we ask for a current membership card.  

Van Cortlandt House Museum

Laura Carpenter Myers
    Director
    Van Cortlandt House Museum
    Bronx NY

• 4.  RE: Reciprocity

Posted 09-26-2018 11:43 AM
    We accept anything, because the benefit in having museum professionals (or historians, or arts professionals, etc.) visit far outweighs the lost admission $

Susan Goganian
    Director
    Historic Beverly
    Beverly MA
    sgoganian@beverlyhistory.org

• 5.  RE: Reciprocity

Posted 09-26-2018 03:07 PM
    I would recommend having a policy that allows people to use any form of proof: badge, ID, name tag, business card, pay stub, etc. This is a benefit I use quite a bit, and nothing is more off-putting than being told that whatever you've happened to bring isn't the right kind of documentation. Many of us don't travel with our work IDs, and I no longer carry most printed membership cards (for anything) as my wallet would be 3" thick if I did. This isn't something most people would even know to lie about, and it's a situation in which a museum usually has nothing to gain by being officious, but everything to lose by creating a bad impression with a colleague.

Michelle Moon

• 6.  RE: Reciprocity

Posted 09-27-2018 08:39 AM
    Don't forget the AAM Membership App! Easiest way to always have your digital AAM Membership card with you.

Nic Cherry
    Director of Touring Exhibiitons
    Exhibits Development Group
    Saint Paul MN

• 7.  RE: Reciprocity

Posted 09-29-2018 01:17 PM
    Good to have ID for international travel, also. Recently was given free admission to the Heraklion Museum in Crete by using my AAM card.

James Bryant
    SOJOURN Science - Nature - Education
    Santa Fe, NM
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-bryant-0598a940/