Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Who greets your visitors?

Posted 07-20-2017 10:48 AM
    Hi all,

I'm interested in hearing how other museums greet visitors at entrances. The BMA has free admission, so I'd especially like to hear from other museums with free admission but I'm sure I can learn from those with ticket sellers as well!

• Who greets your visitors at the entrance (visitor services staff, security, volunteers, etc.)?
    • If you have both security and a visitor service staff/volunteer at entrances where are they located? Are they at different stations and who do the visitors see first? 
    • What is the procedure for greeting visitors? (Offer a map, tell visitors about audio or digital guides, collect zipcodes, etc?)
    • What are the other duties of the greeter? Do they also sell memberships, book tours, sell tickets to programs, etc or do they send visitors to a separate office for these?
    • During slow periods (if you have them) what does the staff/volunteer at the entrance do to stay busy/engaged?
    Thank you in advance!

------------------------------
    Lindsey Hammel
    Manager of Volunteer and Visitor Services
    Birmingham Museum of Art
    Birmingham AL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Who greets your visitors?

Posted 07-20-2017 11:33 AM
    At the Parrish, a regional art museum with paid general admission and memberships, we have a front desk just inside the single public entrance.  Our desk is staffed by part-time and full-time Visitor Services Associates who greet every single person who enter the building.  Yesterday, I had a lovely conversation with a VSA who shared their philosophy on making eye contact when a guest is 10 feet away and a verbal greeting at 4 feet away.  This is to be welcoming, while not appearing over eager or awkward as someone walks from the entrance the 15 feet or so to the front desk.  

In addition to processing admission purchases and checking in Members, VSAs process Membership purchases and sell tickets to events/programs.  We try to collect zip codes, but we are not consistent (especially during busy periods).  Sporadically, VSAs will also conduct a short survey (how did the visitor hear about the Museum, etc.).  

During slow periods, VSAs are most likely taking care of administrative tasks, tidying up the front desk, doing inventory of front desk materials, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Maria Fumai Dietrich
    Membership and Individual Giving Manager
    Parrish Art Museum
    Water Mill NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Who greets your visitors?

Posted 07-21-2017 08:46 AM
    We have visitors staff greeting and security is located just next to them behind a separating wall but also open to the hallway where they can hear and see all that transpires. They do offer a map and give a brief overview and offer the hourly tours. In slow times, the main desk is outfitted with computers and they pursue other work.

Rae Ann Fields
    Development Director
    Old State House Museum
    Little Rock AR

• 4.  RE: Who greets your visitors?

Posted 07-21-2017 01:03 PM
    In addition to initial greetings, you may want to consider that store staff often spends more time with visitors than any other museum personnel. This includes helping find appropriate products and, because the store interaction usually comes toward the end of the museum visit, making recommendations about what to do next, where to eat and how to get places.

Andrew Andoniadis
    Museum Store Consultant
    Andoniadis Retail Services
    Portland OR
    Andrew@MuseumStoreConsult.com(503) 629-9279

• 5.  RE: Who greets your visitors?

Posted 07-21-2017 02:25 PM
    ​Our visitors are greeted by our Volunteer "Greeter" and our friendly Cashier(s). Life size Peanuts characters are also present at the entrance, so in a way they are also welcomed by members of the World Famous Cartoon Strip that we are all about!

Our Volunteer Greeter checks their receipt, hands them a map and gives kids our "Family Guide" with activities that will reward the child with a packet of temporary tattoos. Visitors are given a quick orientation on where the restrooms are, where the elevator and drinking fountains are, And where they can watch a brief Introductory Video. We let everyone know that we allow photos to be taken anywhere in the Museum but ask that they disable their flash!

During slow times the Greeter is able to wander not too far away from the Entrance Podium, but can talk with visitors and answer questions as needed. We also keep current article, a Volunteer Handbook, and current label text from the galleries so they have reading material which helps them keep abreast of what is going on throughout the Museum.

The Greeter position is one of the favorite spots for volunteers to serve!

Kristi Lucas-Hayden
    Volunteer Director
    Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center
    Santa Rosa CA

• 6.  RE: Who greets your visitors?

Posted 07-22-2017 07:39 PM
    I'm an intern at a small museum out in Macomb Illinois and it is usually the museum director (who's desk is right near the door) greets anyone who stops by. If she's out to lunch or for another reason, then it's usually an intern like me or a volunteer. 

The majority of the time when I have to greet someone, the person usually just asks for the director and I tell them they're out to lunch and then they either return within a half in an hour and or give me a donation, check, etc and I put it on their desk. So my procedure is pretty simple. 

Daniel Williams
    Museum Intern
    Macomb IL

• 7.  RE: Who greets your visitors?

Posted 07-28-2017 03:21 PM
    At the Chrylser Museum of Art (a free museum) we have a Gallery Host program that is a paid position. Hosts rotate throughout the museum during the day and two locations at the main entrance and the welcome desk. Hosts at the main entrance open the doors for all guests, handle coat check, assist guests in wheel chairs, and conduct visitor surveys on an iPad. During busy days we always have two Hosts at the main entrance. The welcome desk is where guests are directed to receive all the information they need for their visit. They are greeted and asked if they have a membership and for their zip code. From that point interactions vary based on the needs of the visitors and the information they are interested in. This customer service then extends into the galleries with the other Gallery Hosts. Rotating these responsibilities keeps everyone fresh and allows for more dynamic problem solving. This may not work for smaller/larger museums but I think having a smiling face greet you at the door is such an amazing experience and sets a positive tone for the rest of their visit!

Ashley Beerbroer
    Chrysler Museum of Art
    Norfolk VA

• 8.  RE: Who greets your visitors?

Posted 08-09-2017 11:30 AM
    Edited by Lindsey Hammel 08-09-2017 11:31 AM
    Thank you all for your answers! It has been very helpful to find out how other museums make their visitors feel welcome. I would love to see more responses if others are able to provide information.

Many thanks!

Lindsey Hammel
    Manager of Volunteer and Visitor Services
    Birmingham Museum of Art
    Birmingham AL