Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Very very long term, significant loans

Posted 09-02-2021 10:00 AM
    Good morning. I am looking into examples of museums that house and are responsible for significant collections that they don't own, specifically collections that are core to the museum's purpose and public service. If you are willing to chat or exchange emails about a) justifying spending museum resources on these collections; b) any challenges to fundraising and messaging; c) your loan agreements and d) dealing with the inherent uncertainty about the future, please let me know. Confidentiality assured! If you don't feel comfortable posting here, email me at: laura@lauraroberts.com. Thanks. (Bonus points if the relationship with the lender/ owner is not entirely pleasant...)

------------------------------
    Laura Roberts
    Principal
    Roberts Consulting
    Cambridge MA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Very very long term, significant loans

Posted 09-03-2021 11:33 AM
    Hi Laura,

While this is not directly related to 'collections' do know and understand that many museums with cafes, restaurants and catering for internal and rental events oftentimes have capital invested in food service and dining equipment and if not invested, oftentimes provides its operator(s) a buyback, i.e., guaranteed payment of an operator's capital investment in these areas until fully amortized and -0- on the books and/or at end the Term of the Agreement (contract).

These are capital resources and/or liabilities on the Museum's books for buy-backs that 'maybe' with some institutions, larger ones in particular, that need/use their capital (sometimes donated, sometimes grants) for other than collections..

Just so you know, if applicable to your inquiry.

Any questions, let me know.

Best regards,
    Art

Art Manask
    Principal
    Art Manask Consulting
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more