Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Weird Accretion on Steel Set Screws

Posted 04-22-2017 09:54 AM
    I'm hoping someone can help me solve a mystery at work.

My director is the Director of Cultural Affairs at Victoria College so she not only oversees the museum but also the fine arts center and theaters of the college. In one of the theaters this weird white accretion has appeared on specific areas of the set lights. Its only appeared within the last six months and is only on the set screws and areas of the safety cable that has touched the light itself. It's also on the carabineer connecting the safety cable to the set light but only where the carabineer is touching the set light. It easily wipes off and smears like chalk and leaves no damage behind. On set lights where there is a lot of accumulation it kind of looks like what metal shavings look like when attracted to a magnet. Adding to the mystery, and we have no idea if this is connected, is that the bulbs of the set lights keep blowing out some even to where the filaments of the bulbs are completely separated.

Everyone, including Physical Plant, is stumped as to what it is so my director asked me to reach out into the museum world to see if anyone has seen it before. The clamps that hold up the set lights are made of iron (the accretion has spread to some of these) and the set screws where it seems to be originating are made of steel. All I can figure is that the environment is playing some sort of role. There is no air flow where the set lights are, its warm and humid, which is prime real estate for things to grow.

Thanks in advance!

thumbnail image
    thumbnail image

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Neucere
    Museum of the Coastal Bend Victoria College
    Victoria TX
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Weird Accretion on Steel Set Screws

Posted 04-24-2017 08:26 AM
    If there is any moisture in the area, the metal could be becoming galvanised.  Many metal fixings contain zinc, and when they rust, or galvanise, it produces a white powdery rust.  They may need to brushed off with a wire brush and repainted with a special zinc rich epoxy.

Michael Mackay
    Manager, Sales & Marketing
    Spongelab Interactive
    Toronto, Ontario
    Michael.Mackay@spongelab.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Weird Accretion on Steel Set Screws

Posted 04-24-2017 08:44 AM
    I think Michael is on the right track. Galvanic reactions occur where aluminum comes in contact with steel, and the right conditions of heat and humidity occur.  If the fixtures are aluminum it would make sense that the reaction is happening around the steel set screws and the steel safety cables. you may want to see if getting air circulation around the lights help. It may also be why the bulbs are burning out so quickly. I would contact the light's manufacturers for suggestions, they may have environmental criteria for heat and humidity.

Ian Swope
    Exhibit Designer
    Winchester MA

• 4.  RE: Weird Accretion on Steel Set Screws

Posted 04-24-2017 09:56 AM
    Knowing nothing about your structure, this is pure conjecture, but...

My husband is a machinist (so is familiar with all sorts of crazy metal issues), so I asked him. It's his guess that this is a mineral deposit from a water leak- we saw something very similar when we were in the basement of a plantation house with serious water leaks. Warm, humid, and water leakage.
    He asked if you may have a minor leak from your water sprinkler system (or perhaps something else above that/those lights). A very small, gradual leak could cause the accumulation of the white substance without causing serious water damage to the surrounding infrastructure.

This might also explain why you're having lightbulb issues too. A drip of water on a hot bulb will cause it to explode. Plus, it doesn't make much sense for that area of the theatre to be humid, unless there is excessive humidity throughout the whole theatre.

Best of luck, and let us know if the mystery is ever solved!

Kristi Moore
    Moore Archives & Preservation

• 5.  RE: Weird Accretion on Steel Set Screws

Posted 04-25-2017 12:04 AM
    It doesn't have to be a water line leaking. My museum had a large puddle inside one day. Plastic bins to catch water. I asked the building manager how the roof could be leaking when it hadn't rained in weeks and was 90 degrees outside. He said it was the AC, something wasn't draining. Turn off the AC, no more problem. A theatre would have a lot of people breathing water into the air and generating heat. Physical plant checks it when there isn't a full audience, they see nothing wrong with the electrical or plumbing. 
    That chalky stuff is probably a baby stalactite. I'd guess it is gypsum from the drywall used in the ceiling. Material has to come from somewhere.

Michael Kan
    Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: Weird Accretion on Steel Set Screws

Posted 04-24-2017 11:24 AM
    it could be electrolysis.

Hosea Brawley
    Chief Engineer
    Museum of the American Revolution
    Philadelphia PA

• 7.  RE: Weird Accretion on Steel Set Screws

Posted 04-25-2017 01:29 PM
    I'd love to know what that stuff is. We have something similar growing on the concrete wall of our basement, right above where I park my bike. It seems to be focused on the area where the giant screws (steel? iron?) stick out of the wall. Moisture is definitely a contributing factor. Sometimes it snows down onto my helmet/jacket/bike... It would be nice to know it's not toxic!

Mikala Woodward
    Exhibit Developer
    Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience
    Seattle WA

• 8.  RE: Weird Accretion on Steel Set Screws

Posted 04-25-2017 02:53 PM
    What you're seeing may actually be efflorescence. Its essentially salt build-up from evaporated water. Here is some information on it: http://www.concreteconstruction.net/products/decorative-concrete-surfaces/what-causes-efflorescence-and-how-do-you-remove-it_o

Elizabeth Neucere
    Museum of the Coastal Bend Victoria College
    Victoria TX

• 9.  RE: Weird Accretion on Steel Set Screws

Posted 04-26-2017 02:58 PM
    Good Afternoon -
    I just showed your photos to our AC guy...he stated that based off of your description and the photo it looks like mold.

Good Luck!

Kelly Kubiak
    Assistant Director & Collections Manager
    Hunter House Victorian Museum
    Norfolk VA

• 10.  RE: Weird Accretion on Steel Set Screws

Posted 04-27-2017 10:34 AM
    Hello again,
    Our AC guy called me this morning regarding the issue with your carabineer:

He stated that he was wrong believing it was mold but instead believes that it is most likely oxidation breaking down the piece.  It should be replaced as it is slowly losing strength.  He also recommended to purchase a new one from a sporting good store as they are designed to last longer.

Again, hope this helps

Kelly Kubiak
    Assistant Director & Collections Manager
    Hunter House Victorian Museum
    Norfolk VA