Open Forum

View Only

Searching for Session Panelists

• 1.  Searching for Session Panelists

Posted 08-29-2019 03:39 PM
    Hello all,

I have been considering putting together a session proposal about maintaining museum careers in untraditional circumstances. For example, I found museum collections to be my career of choice, but I also stumbled into the ever-changing life of a military spouse. That means every three years or so I have to uproot and begin my career in a completely different city, and sometimes the option of working in a museum simply does not exist (remote or overseas duty stations). I have found myself looking for different ways to remain current and relevant as a museum professional, knowing that even if I do have that coveted full-time job, in a small matter of time I will be again starting from scratch and trying to break into a new community of museums. 

I was wondering what other museum professionals have done to maintain their careers through similar circumstances? What have you done? Do you have advice for anyone else whose passion or expertise is museums, but find it difficult to continue a linear career path? What other positions have you taken that are similar or helped your career? I am looking to build a panel to discuss the challenges and advice you may have for others? 

Please contact me if you would like to share your own story and see if we can help others maintain their own careers.

Cheers,

------------------------------
    Christina Bulow

email: cnsell16@gmail.com

------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more