Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Examples of Using Social Media

Posted 07-22-2019 09:11 AM
    Hey,

How does your museum, historic site, or gallery ENCOURAGE the use of social media.

Patrick

T.Patrick Brennan

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Examples of Using Social Media

Posted 07-23-2019 10:20 AM
    Within the past year, we updated our photography policy so as to allow [non-flash] photography anywhere unless label/signage indicates otherwise (camera icon circled with slash through it), and posted signage stating the policy with our social media handles. We've also made occasional social posts encouraging people to take pictures and tag us, and are incorporating more user-generated photos into our posts. Response to the latter has been very good--people are excited to see their pictures being used, so lots of sharing/liking among their networks happens as a result.

------------------------------
    Carrie Sanger
    Manager of Marketing & PR
    Meadows Museum - Southern Methodist University
    Dallas TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Examples of Using Social Media

Posted 07-23-2019 12:54 PM
    Some effective ways I've seen social media encouraged in museums is by having designated exhibit hashtags on intro labels, and in another museum, a screen outside an exhibit with live updates of social posts about the museum tagging them or using certain hashtags. Both ways immediately tell visitors that not only are they allowed to post and take pictures, but it's encouraged and the museum wants to see those posts and share them with other visitors. It helps create the feeling of a digital community that you can join if you post using their hashtags.

Lindsey Marshall
    Emerging Museum Professional
    lm.lindseymarshall@gmail.com 
    Dallas, TX

• 4.  RE: Examples of Using Social Media

Posted 07-23-2019 02:08 PM
    We have a selfie station with our current temp. exhibit on regional baseball where people can grab a ball and the bat and take a shot then we encourage them to #hashtag us. I would have to talk with my marketing director to get numbers of engagement its brought, but I have seen a lot of people taking photos. 

Shelby Miller
    Curator/Dr. of Education and Outreach
    Galena History Museum
    Galena IL

• 5.  RE: Examples of Using Social Media

Posted 07-24-2019 04:20 PM
    Hello Patrick, 

Many museums actually now design a social media component to the exhibit.  

For example, a local museum, called the Figge Art Museum in the Quad Cities in the Vik Muniz - Wasteland Exhibit. Places a large spot on the exhibit floor where all ages are able to create a piece of art. The Art is then mirrored on the wall.  The creators are encouraged to take a photo of the exhibit and post on their social media account. 

Also, some museums encourage their attendees to post on Trip Advisor and write a review.  Adding photos is a plus. Example I have seen is the Daniel Boone Home at Lindenwood Park in Defiance, MO hands out cards and encourages visitors to post a review and photo as well. 

Social Media definitely creates another organic marketing impression for museums.

Mandi

Mandi Toutsch
    P: 650-336-3121
    E: mandiltoutsch@me.com
    www.linkedin.com/in/manditoutsch/