Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Question about board relationships

• 1.  Question about board relationships

Posted 03-04-2017 03:48 PM
    Edited by Christine Hoffman 03-04-2017 08:23 PM
    Greetings all, 

In working with my board, I realize that there is a lot I can help them learn about museums, however I am not sure how to broach the subject. Are there any good sources for board training in relation to museums? 

------------------------------
    Christine H.
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Question about board relationships

Posted 03-05-2017 11:15 AM

Absolutely not... While an ED may sit on a board or not (I don't), you absolutely must be present at all meetings. You should obtain governance rules from AAM or your local Museum association or encourage the hiring of a consultant so that the board understands how any non-profit board is set up, not just a museum board. It is critical that you not back down from the beginning. This is a very bad precedent to start. If you do not think that the board would approve funds for a consultant, then you should see if you could have another chairman of the board of a local museum speak to your board chair.

If you would like to speak offline please feel free to email me, board management is very important for the viability of your museum.

Best Wishes,

Barbara Elfman

Executive Director

Metropolitan Waterworks Museum

617-277-0065

2450 Beacon Street

Boston, MA 02467

Barbara.Elfman@waterworksmuseum.org

@MetroWaterworks

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Question about board relationships

Posted 03-06-2017 10:42 AM
     I second the suggestion of using the AAM standards, which were developed for that purpose.   Although they are not as familiar with museum protocol as you would want, you should find out which members are more familiar with not-for-profit or for-profit management, which have differenrt rules and vocabularies.  I would suggest bookmarking the on-line management library at Free Management Library (SM)  

Barbara Cohen-Stratyner PhD
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Question about board relationships

Posted 03-06-2017 08:35 AM
    Hmm... I do not share Barbara's reaction. I believe there are healthy ways that a CEO can be an effective partner with the board, without breaking the management/governance barrier. For example, we've helped our museum clients incorporate some element of the mission into every board meeting. You might invite the education director to lead board members through a typical school exercise; or invite a curator to provide background and context for an item in your collection. I do agree with Barbara's suggestion that it can be useful to invite the knowledgeable trustee from another museum to make a brief presentation and then facilitate a Q&A with your board members -- or take your board on a site visit to that other museum. 

For basic governance questions, I'd recommend the resources of BoardSource. There are also BoardSource certified consultants in many communities. 

Board education is a journey. As your board recruits new trustees, an orientation for new board members can provide some background on board service and museum governance.

Many of these tasks can (should?) be assigned to the board's committee on governance (or nominating committee), which is responsible for equipping their fellow board members to serve your institution well. 

Laura MacDonald
    President
    Benefactor Group, LLC
    Columbus OH

• 5.  RE: Question about board relationships

Posted 03-06-2017 12:30 PM
    While I agree it is very important for other staff members to present at board meetings and it is something we do, I think as an ED there needs to be transparency as to what the board is discussing that relates to the organization. The way our board handles it is there is a meeting that the ED attends and then they go into executive session to discuss any matters that the ED does not need to weigh in on. Yes, the mission should always be the "elephant in the room" but I believe that a board would have to be extremely cohesive and engaged with an ED through committees and other means to not include the person in Board meetings. It did not sound like this was the case from the initial inquiry. I also give thumbs up on Boardsource resources.

Barbara Elfman
    Executive Director
    Metropolitan WaterWorks Museum, Inc.
    Chestnut Hill MA

• 6.  RE: Question about board relationships

Posted 03-06-2017 08:44 AM
    Board Source is the best. They have a variety of materials (and, no, I don't work for them) boardsource.org 

Beth Hansen
    Easton MD

• 7.  RE: Question about board relationships

Posted 03-06-2017 08:54 AM
    I second Laura and Beth on all points. I also would see what your state had in the way of a nonprofit coalition/center and see what resources they have. They often provide expertise for free or at a deep discount.

When I was running a nonprofit in KY I experienced some of the same issues, and the University of Kentucky Nonprofit Center (we were a member) was most helpful.

Good luck!

Christopher Kolakowski
    Director
    MacArthur Memorial
    Norfolk VA

• 8.  RE: Question about board relationships

Posted 03-07-2017 09:14 AM
    I have to confess that I do not understand Barbara's "absolutely not" comment. Of course you should be helping your board understand museum issues. That's how I read your question...

Yes, they need to know about good governance practice and BoardSource, a local resource (community foundation, United Way, association of nonprofits, etc.), and the online free library (which I have found a little less useful than I have in the past) are great resources.

But how do you create a good MUSEUM board? I would program a short bit of board education at every meeting - a visit behind the scenes to a working space, a presentation about something the staff is working on, a discussion of an ethics issue (Sally Yerkovich's book is full of great case studies), a guest from another museum, or discussion of a short reading related to a current question. Only have to be 15-20 minutes to be effective. It not only educates the board but it strengthens their connection to the work of the organization.

I would also find ways to get them to actually participate in programs and events so that they see the work first hand... in a professional capacity, not refiling the cookie trays. Ask them to be greeters at an event or opening or to be the "host" for a guest speaker. Ask people with nice guest rooms if they will put up people coming to work at the museum. (I am on a theater board and have hosted candidates for job interviews, production designers, and even a playwright. As a consultant, I have stayed with both board and staff members.)  I know of one museum that gives points for board participation and announces who is on the "leader board" at each meeting.

Laura Roberts
    Principal
    Roberts Consulting
    Cambridge MA

• 9.  RE: Question about board relationships

Posted 03-07-2017 11:29 AM
    Your short inquiry speaks volumes Christine.  The advice you have received is excellent and well worth applying when and where you can if it is practical and works.  Teaching museum trustees about museums is no little challenge.  There are two reasons for this. The first is that some trustees may not understand, reconize or accept the fact that there is such a thing as a museum profession, with various disciplines, protocols, practices, etc.  The second is that some trustees cannot be taught as they are already all-knowing, all-seeing and all-powerful beings...and we are lucky to have their wisdom.  Of course, there are exceptions to my not-entirely facetious declaration.  Those exceptions are the people who will be your allies.  Trustees often listen more to each other than to professional staff.  Your supporters can get points across more effectively than you might.  Fortunately our profession has developed wonderful codes and systems that when put in place on the job, and officially approved by boards, help make leadership easier.  There are a couple of books that I have used as museum studies texts that I could recommend and am happy to talk off-line about this subject.  Wiley is scheduled to publish my museum studies text this year and my hope is it will be of interest to the general public, as well as those in the museum field.  Trustees fall into the general public category.  I have a chapter on museum governance and start by noting that the the non-profit sector in American is governed by amateurs.  In other words, the vast majority of boards of trustees for charities in the United States are not filled with people representing the professions found withing those charities.  This includes hospitals, animal shelters, libraries, land presevation groups and museums.  It is not unusual for a few token professionals to be represented but they are just that.  Consequently, there is often a learning curve for board members when it comes to their knowledge of an organiztioin regarding what it is, why it is, what it does, and, how.  Teaching trustees as an on-going and ceasless job for directors.

Good Luck,

Steve        

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 10.  RE: Question about board relationships

Posted 03-09-2017 11:41 PM
    These are all wonderful responses! My apologies to Barbara. She replied before I edited it I guess, though at the time of my edit there were none yet showing. I was uncomfortable with my phrasing at first, couldn't find a way to delete my first question so edited it to something I felt more comfortable posting. My new board president wants to go back to how my predecessor interacted with board meetings, which was to only submit a typed report and not be involved/present. I feel like I am being treated more like an office assistant than a director of a museum in those circumstances, and am trying to find some good resources about it. I was a little embarrased sharing that, so I made the question more broad. Her emphatic absolutely not was that this circumstance is not normal. 

Thank you for the supportive answers. And apologies again for inadvertently creating awkwardness when that is what I was seeking to avoid. 

C Hoffman

• 11.  RE: Question about board relationships

Posted 03-10-2017 02:31 PM

Thank you for the clarification Christine!

Barbara Elfman

Executive Director

Metropolitan Waterworks Museum

617-277-0065

2450 Beacon Street

Boston, MA 02467

Barbara.Elfman@waterworksmuseum.org

@MetroWaterworks