Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

• 1.  Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

Posted 03-27-2017 10:25 AM
    Hello!  I am working on a project that will be displayed on a touchscreen computer.  I am having some problems finding a good source for a kiosk for a 19"-21" screen.  Would anyone have a good direction you could send me?

------------------------------
    Lyne Johnson
    Assistant Director
    Boot Hill Museum
    Dodge City KS
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

Posted 03-28-2017 11:22 AM
    Question; Are you looking for a touchscreen or an all-in-one kiosk?  If you are just looking for a touchscreen than I would recommend ELO touchscreens they are made for industrial use. Here at the Newark Museum, we don't use off-the-shelf kiosks. The off-the-shelf kiosks never fit our needs and are expensive. For our gallery installs we build custom bezels around the touchscreens. We have been trying out several different types of touchscreens, we have used Samsung Android tablets, Microsoft Surface Tablets, 32" ELO touchscreens with Intel NUC computers and most recently I am testing out the new Samsung Galaxy TabPro S which is a Windows tablet (FYI; Samsung also has an 18" windows tablet).

Here are examples of some exhibition installs.
    ELO touchscreen with Intel NUC computer
    This is a 32" ELO touchscreen.  No custom bezel as this ELO has a finished bezel.
    Surface tablet with off-the-shelf bezel
    This is a Surface 3 with an off-the-shelf bezel, its ok but we feel it could have been smaller.
    Samsung Android Tablet

Samsung Android tablet with painted plexiglass

All of these devices will get screen burn (Most devices today can get screen burn you would need to find LED tablets which are few and far between) so what I developed here at the Newark Museum is software that uses the tablet's camera to detect motion. Once motion is detected the screen will brighten and it's ready for the user to interact with the device. When there is no motion for a few minutes the screen will Dim and an attract screen will play.  I have seen other museums where the screen turns off but to me, this looks like the device is off or broken.  Dimming also helps with heat issues, the screen produces a lot of heat and causes a tablet's battery to become inefficient and will charge at a slower rate. We used quiet PC fans to solve the heat issue but with the new dimming software, this seems to have solved the problem too.

Surface Tablets no motion detectedNo motion was detected but you can still see the attract screen.

Motion detected on one deviceI walked up to one tablet, about 10 feet away the screen brightens.

For devices without a camera, I use a micro Arduino and a motion sensor which functions in the same manner as the camera.  I wrote my own software for motion and brightening the screen. I found that there was other software out there that can help me do what I wanted but it used a lot of system resources and the performance was different on each device.  I also built into my software a way to lock down a system so if the app exits (crashes) the user can't do anything to the Windows. I am working to auto restart the app if it crashes.

Here are other examples of using touchscreens in our galleries:
    Developed the Magic Mirror allowing visitor the ability to try on Jewelry.Magic Mirror virtually wear jewelry

Video Recording Kiosk - Tell us about your visit at the Museum.Share your stories with video or audio

Raymond Stivala
    Manager of Web/Multimedia Development
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

Posted 03-28-2017 03:56 PM
    Great information. Thank you Raymond.

Mark 

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Adult Learning and Engagement Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141

• 4.  RE: Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

Posted 03-28-2017 04:38 PM
    Thank you so much!  This is great information!

Lyne Johnson
    Office Manager
    Boot Hill Museum
    Dodge City KS

• 5.  RE: Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

Posted 03-29-2017 07:51 AM
    Thanks for sharing these.  It is great to see how you are managing to put this technology together yourself with readily available components.  There is so much expensive museum equipment out there, it is encouraging to see something manufactured onsite that is both useful and attractive.  Now to master the software encoding--have you any suggestions?

Colin Windhorst PhD

• 6.  RE: Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

Posted 03-29-2017 01:18 PM
    Colin;

What are you referring to when you say "software encoding"?  Are you talking about Video encoding? 

Let me know I can help you with at too, I do all the audio/video recording and editing for all exhibition projects.

Raymond

Raymond Stivala
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 7.  RE: Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

Posted 03-29-2017 08:48 AM
    Terrific info, Raymond! Go and ask for a raise!!

We're in the early stages of putting together our first traveling exhibit, and I've been including interactions that would use touch-screen technologies.  So, your comments and suggestions are very timely.

Greg Moss
    Museum Planning Committee
    International Society of Antique Scale Collectors (www.isasc.org)
    Pittsburgh, PA

• 8.  RE: Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

Posted 03-29-2017 01:16 PM
    Thank you all for the great feedback!! 

I am very careful about how money is spent we would spend $400.00 on a <g class="gr_ gr_116 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace gr-progress" id="116" data-gr-id="116">brightsign</g> player but could not use it to run real interactive programs.  I would then use a $400.00 <g class="gr_ gr_273 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="273" data-gr-id="273">brightsign</g> <g class="gr_ gr_418 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="418" data-gr-id="418">player</g> to loop video and felt that this was crazy.

Here are some more things I use at the Newark Museum:

Android PC:  They cost about $80 on amazon and you can install free software to loop video.  For more modern versions of Android, I wrote an app that will loop video. You can also use this as an Audio looper too, I used this to replace old CD player that finally died.  There are other free apps that will auto start other apps and keep the screen on all the time.  I have also used these to create Flash interactives, I export the Flash as an Android App in order to run on the Android device. I have used these Android PCs for years and never had one fail.  
    If you are going to use an Android PC make sure it has Audio out jack, some don't and its hard to get the audio from these devices. These devices are nice and small and can be tucked away, you do need some ventilation and would recommend Zip-ties to hold it in place, don't velcro as the unit does get warm and will make the velcro glue gooey and will let go.

Note: I have all my interactives reboot every night to ensure a fresh start every day.  I have each interactive email me that the reboot has taken place; if I don't get an email this will prompt me to check the device.

Also, most tablets will need to be rooted but in most <g class="gr_ gr_1968 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="1968" data-gr-id="1968">cases</g> this is not very hard. this will also void any warranty so do it at your own risk. 

The Samsung tablets that use Android cost about $300 and the new Samsung that uses Windows 10 costs about $545
    I am leaning towards the Windows 10 tablets because I can control it easier with my code where the Android's I need 3rd party apps to help me.  I can write some apps but I still have roadblocks.

The Intel NUC computers are great and very compact they cost about $580 with everything this includes a 128GB SSD drive and I think 16GB RAM.

For each device get a BlueTooth mini keyboard. Yes, I have a lot laying around (Make sure to label them and the related device) this makes it easy to control them if you need to reboot.  Also, I would recommend for the windows computers (make sure you get Windows 10 PRO) to setup remote desktop.  This will allow you to make updates without having to access the device directly.

Raymond

Raymond Stivala
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 9.  RE: Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

Posted 04-04-2017 01:46 PM
    Hi Raymond,

Your discussion of your software efforts are fascinating!

I am particularly interested in open source software (OSS) and the open source movement as applicable to museums. I think the museum world and OSS are a great match. It's a way to share resources, to collaborate, and do more with less. I'm still learning about existing efforts for OSS with a specific museum angle.

Have you considered releasing any of your efforts as open source projects? The custom attract loop with motion detection is especially interesting....

Cheers,
    - Charles

Charles E. Buchwald
    Museográfica
    Mexico City & New York City
    Est. 1977

• 10.  RE: Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

Posted 03-31-2017 11:28 AM
    Hi Lyne,

I concur that ELO makes a fine range of touch-screen hardware and they are very durable and perform well for a very long time.  All you get from ELO, however, it the touch-screen itself; and in some of the products, they offer a nifty slide-in-the-back PC.  Content would need to be developed to fulfill your specific needs.  

We have utilized the slide-in PC on many projects and they hold up really well with limited scheduled maintenance.   It is still a PC/computer, so proper UPS battery backup and power filtration needs to be employed.  Computers don't like dirty power nor having their power suddenly yanked....or even turned off by a power strip.   

There are several content players/processors that we've used over the years including my favorites: Technovision and BrightSign. Technovision makes some really nice, bullet-proof content players.  BrightSign has some more sophisticated equipment.   We have been using the XD and 4K BrightSign units more and more to do touch-screen HTML5 kiosk applications.  They actually are doing quite well in most instances.   The XD units are a little too latent for complicated drag-and-drop type of applications, but for many applications they have enough processing power.  We are currently testing the 4K units with the more complicated applications.  All of these non PC units just run and run and require very little maintenance and rebooting.  

With all of these scenarios, the content still needs to be developed specifically to meet your needs.  If you have the time and expertise, all of these skills can be learned and can possibly save some money depending upon how much your time is worth.  However in most instances that I have seen, the time to learn all the skills to develop a touch-screen application becomes very mountainous and utilizing a professional developer ends up being the more logical and affordable way to go for most museums.   In the majority of cases, utilizing a professional contractor is actually more economical than hiring an employee to develop these types of interactive experiences.   That's why I got into the business of content creation and interactive design.

Way to go Raymond for all of your interactives!!!

I hope this helps with your quest and if there is anything that I can help you with, don't hesitate to contact me.

AlanEidson
    Interpretive Filmmaker/Interactive Designer
    alan@eidsonstudios.com

• 11.  RE: Touchscreen Computer Kiosk

Posted 04-03-2017 08:25 AM
    Jon Amakawa at Fitchburg State College is a teaching artist of game art technology for museums. He developed a touch screen interactive for the Heinz History Center that focuses on Underground Railroad safe houses in the Pittsburgh area. We supplied the content and he brought it to life in five different stories on five different screens. A link to his contact is below.

Jon Amakawa, M.Des., Game Design and Interactive Media, Communications Media | Fitchburg State University
    Fitchburgstate remove preview
    Jon Amakawa, M.Des., Game Design and Interactive Media, Communications Media | Fitchburg State University
    A comprehensive public university committed to providing affordable, high-quality learning opportunities in undergraduate, graduate and continuing education.
    View this on Fitchburgstate >

Samuel Black
    Director of African American Programs
    Senator John Heinz History Center
    Pittsburgh PA