Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Comfortability of working environment

Posted 07-14-2021 03:59 PM
    First of all I would like to comment on how for many years as a visitor in museums and galleries before I was employed in one as large as I am now, that I would be enjoying the exhibits and so much wanted to continue and see as much of it as possible.  However, it would get to a point where it was difficult, although I was both enjoying and learning from it.  I just could not take it anymore.  Now I realize what the problem was.  As an employee who has to stand in gallery spaces for long periods there is only so much ones feet and legs can take.  Now we try different things such as better shoes, wearing insoles and special socks, but there really does not seem to be anything that totally relieves one of the problem.  (If it can be unbearable for a visitor after a few hours, imagine how it must be for someone who is there for a whole day, and five or more days a week.)  Now it does make a considerable difference as to exactly where one is posted, like we are known to say, "Wood is good". It might help a little to be be a bit mobile, but for certain posts this is not possible.  Like for those posted at entrances there are thicker pads for standing, which helps, but it seems to be rather difficult to add these in all areas of the building.  Does anyone have any suggestions or examples as to how this is handled in other places?  Also our buildings are known to have been designed by great architects, why is this one area that seems to have been overlooked?

Jerry Foley, GPO at the NGA

National Gallery of Art
    Washington, DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Comfortability of working environment

Posted 07-19-2021 03:53 PM
    Hi Jerry!

It's really interesting to hear someone actually talk about this. As someone who spends most of my days walking or standing I can certainly attest that "wood is good" and a good pair of insoles are vital. Our museum has fold-out gallery stools that guests can borrow. They are very lightweight and actually pretty comfortable to sit in so visitors can carry them around the galleries and use them.

I don't think there is really an obvious solution for employees who have to stand in the galleries all day (e.g. security guards). I know that for myself, personally, I feel way more fatigued and achey after working in one of our terrazzo-floored galleries all day than I do in one of our hardwood floor spaces.

------------------------------
    Keri Smith
    Associate Preparator
    Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art - University of Oklahoma
    Norman OK
    ------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more