Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  astronomy exhibit

Posted 12-07-2016 12:28 PM
    Greetings
    I have a prospective client that is looking for off the shelf or perhaps plans for exhibits about and I quote:  "in regard to planetary scale, motion, moons, gas giants. Milky way, or galaxy displays would also be considered"

I have combed the internet for off the shelf and have found little that would work in this environment of a planetarium. I am hoping to find plans or inexpensive ideas for them. I have not been retained to do design work yet. Just helping out at the moment.

My gut says it needs to be custom.

thanks!

alan

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: astronomy exhibit

Posted 12-08-2016 08:02 AM

You're likely looking at custom.  Generally the needs for each planetarium or science center are different, so it's quite doubtful you will find anything "out-of-the-box" for this type of exhibit.  Even if there was, my educated guess is that it would take a substantial amount of customization to make it work for your specific circumstances, which can often cost more than a ground up design.

You are more likely to be searching for a design company to put something together for you, and a higher budget requirement.

If you have more details on what they are looking for, or any other questions feel free to reach out to us.

------------------------------
    Michael Mackay
    Manager, Sales & Marketing
    Spongelab Interactive
    Toronto ON

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: astronomy exhibit

Posted 12-09-2016 01:48 PM

Micheal

This is what i thought. I am a designer, and they called me out of the blue ( I love that!). 

Ive designed for this type of exhibit before, and they asked me to look.

I couldnt find anything that was worthy educationally nor for the exhibit environment.

thanks for your input!

alan

------------------------------
    alan ransenberg
    planner/ designer/ owner
    the alchemy of design
    portland or

• 4.  RE: astronomy exhibit

Posted 12-09-2016 02:24 PM
    The Clark Planetarium in Salt Lake City recently installed a new gallery of interactive exhibits.  Some were done custom for them, but they also developed a series of exhibits in-house.  You might contact their exhibits manager for more information.  His name is Duke Johnson and his email is DJJohnson@slco.org

Good luck!

Barbara Punt
    Punt Consulting Group
    409 North PCH, Suite 326
    Redondo Beach, CA 90277
    (310) 937-3366

When in Doubt...Punt!