Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Dress Code for admissions staff

Posted 07-16-2019 10:52 AM
    Hello-

We are updating our visitor engagement /admissions department dress code.  In my research I have come across current business trends leaning toward a more flexible, business casual attire.  I've read that there's no right or wrong dress code to adopt, but each dress codes has potential strengths and weaknesses in today's business environment. 
    What are your thoughts, What does your museum do?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Jennifer

------------------------------
    Jennifer LaGuardia
    Associate Director of Visitor Engagement
    Cleveland Museum of Natural History
    Cleveland, Ohio
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Dress Code for admissions staff

Posted 07-17-2019 08:16 AM
    Our admissions folks are union employees so they wear a uniform. The shirt is the same color with our logo on it. Pants are khaki and for some employees, we've allowed khaki skirts (generally for women who do not/cannot wear pants). This ensures visitors can identify our admissions folks (all our union staff wear specific uniforms). We have seasonal uniforms so that gives people flexibility and adjustment to a comfort level. Polo shirts are the standard in summer and long-sleeved polos or button-down logo shirts are the norms in winter (with logo fleece and/or jackets). We're pretty flexible here in New York City with regard to hair (color), tattoos and the like, but we require uniforms (clean and pressed!).  

As an aside, one of our all-time best seasonal employees was a flamboyant individual with neck tattoos (and more), funky glasses, interesting hair. He was the most personable and welcoming person we've ever employed and visitors got a kick out of him.

Denise McClean
    Director
    Prospect Park Zoo
    Brooklyn NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Dress Code for admissions staff

Posted 07-17-2019 08:27 AM
    We just updated our admissions team dress code and are leaning toward clean, comfy, business casual. We have tried a whole range of options over the years I have been here, from full-on uniforms with blazers to the more casual policies we have now. For our gallery associates we do a uniform t-shirt so they are identifiable but we just need our admissions team to be approachable and didn't require anything that specific.

I would be happy to email you our new policy if you like.

Amanda Kepner
    Manager for Learning and Experience Operations
    Columbus Museum of Art
    Columbus OH

• 4.  RE: Dress Code for admissions staff

Posted 07-17-2019 11:39 AM
    Hi.  At the Museum of Flight we have a code that calls for Docker type pants (black, blue, khaki) and a Museum provided logo Polo (or t-shirt if we are promoting an exhibit) for men.  Women may wear a corresponding skirt or dress as well as slacks and then the polo or t-shirt.  The important thing for us is that the employees are recognizable and professional looking.  Our Docents wear ties and blue blazers.  We recently relaxed our policy on tats and piercings. 
    Looking forward to what others do.
    Rich

Rich Rime
    Director of Sales
    Museum of Flight
    Seattle WA
    rrime@museumofflight.org

• 5.  RE: Dress Code for admissions staff

Posted 07-17-2019 12:38 PM
    Hi Jennifer,

Our floor staff wear jeans, branded t-shirts, either a lab coat or branded fleece, and comfortable tennis shoes. We also have branded gear for folks that work outside.

The one thing I would strongly suggest is to give some extra thought about your approach to shoes. If your admissions/engagement staff are spending significant portions of their day standing on their feet, consider allowing for more comfortable styles. Inserts are somewhat effective, but especially for any entry-level staff, they're more of a financial burden to buy and replace than just shoes.

I hope that's helpful!

Ethan Draeger
    Coordinator, Group Center
    Museum of Science & Industry
    Chicago IL

• 6.  RE: Dress Code for admissions staff

Posted 07-17-2019 02:10 PM

We have two options.  Business casual attire as outlined in our dress code, or a museum supplied polo shirt with khaki slacks/skirt/shorts.  Different events and different positions may have different requirements.  E.g. tour guides as above, but museum supervisor needs an upgrade.  Special events may require more business-like attire.

Greg

Sent from Mail for Windows 10