Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  MLB logos in an exhibit

Posted 06-12-2019 12:11 PM
    Hello everyone,
     We are developing an exhibit that is going to include some information about the various baseball teams that have performed spring training in Fort Myers and wanted to use the teams' logos. We have some inquiries out to Major League Baseball but I was curious if anyone has used professional sports logos in exhibits and if there were a large number of hoops to jump through, thank you!

Brent

------------------------------
    Brent Newman
    Chief Curator
    Edison and Ford Winter Estates
    Fort Myers FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: MLB logos in an exhibit

Posted 06-13-2019 09:20 AM
    Brent, I'd try the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. If they can't help - they may have a special arrangement with MLB - contact Shawn Herne, Exec Director of the Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum in Baltimore. Professional sports teams and leagues are very territorial, sure you're smart to be cautious in using logos. Good luck. Dean

Dean Krimmel, Interpretive & Exhibition Planning
    Creative Museum Services/Qm2
    deankrimmel@qm2.org; 410-746-8350

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: MLB logos in an exhibit

Posted 06-13-2019 11:26 AM
      |   view attached
    Brent,

Basically, it often depends on the sport, the team, the particular individuals involved. I concur with Dean about contacting either or both the National Baseball Hall of Fame and the Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum. Shawn Herne at Babe Ruth Museum can be reached at 410-727-1539. Erik Strohl is the Vice President, Exhibitions and Collections at Baseball HoF and can be reached at 607-547-0325.

Others you may want to reach out to:
    Baseball Heritage Museum -- Bob Zimmer, President and Founder 216-406-5729
    Braves Heritage & Hall of Fame -- Carolyn Serra, Senior Director 404-614-2310
    Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum -- Rick Walls, Executive Director 513-765-7920 / Chris Eckes, Operations Manager & Chief Curator 513-765-7930
    Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory -- Chris Meiman, Curator/Exhibits Director 502-585-5226
    St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame Museum -- Amy Berra, Assistant Curator 314-345-9611

Nicole Markham
    Curator of Collections
    International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum
    Newport RI

• 4.  RE: MLB logos in an exhibit

Posted 06-19-2019 04:01 PM
    In another life I needed to put sports teams logos in a web portal to display their scores and spoke to several contacts at MLB, NHL and sports data licensing companies.  The rule of thumb was that it was too cumbersome to approve every instance/permission and so as long as you were promoting the individual games as news, and were not promoting any other product or profiting off of their IP, they weren't going to go after you.  I had these conversations because the sports data companies charged me to use the official logos, but wouldn't warrant that they had the rights or indemnify me against any damages.   (This is not meant as legal advice)

If you're promoting the local stadiums I would reach out to the PR people for those stadiums and/or the MLB PR people and they would most likely supply you with the correct logos.

Aaron Hinklin MBA
    VP Product Innovation and Business Development
    Rochester NY