Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Old Taxidermy Collections

• 1.  Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-17-2021 01:44 PM
    Colleagues, I have a client that has been offered an 100 year old taxidermy collection. The collection is extensive and many pieces are reported to be in excellent condition. However, I have heard that such items are likely to have arsenic in them.

My client is not sure if they should take the collection and we are seeking advice. Does anyone on this thread have advice for us on managing / maintaining an old taxidermy collection with potential toxicity issues? Are the issues surmountable? Should my client say "thanks but no thanks?"

------------------------------
    Melanie Greenaway, Exhibit Designer
    Double Dare Design, North Vancouver BC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-17-2021 01:51 PM

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-17-2021 02:08 PM
    Many thanks, Diane!

Melanie Greenaway
    Exhibit Designer
    Double Dare Design
    North Vancouver BC

• 4.  RE: Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-17-2021 02:09 PM
    Hi,
    This general information may also be of help:
    Care of Mounted Specimens and Pelts – Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI) Notes 8/3

--

Jean-Luc Vincent

Administrateur du SIA
    Direction des collections, de la conservation et de la restauration
    Direction générale des affaires autochtones et du patrimoine culturel
    Parcs Canada, Gouvernement du Canada
    2630, chemin Sheffield, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. non fiable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

AIS Administrator
    Collections, Curatorial and Conservation Branch
    Indigenous Affairs and Cultural Heritage Directorate
    Parks Canada, Government of Canada
    2630 Sheffield Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. unreliable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

450 000 km2 de souvenirs
     / 450 000 km2 of memories

• 5.  RE: Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-23-2021 03:28 PM
    Thanks Jean-Luc, I imagine this is something you encounter regularly working for PCA?

Melanie Greenaway
    Double Dare Design

Melanie Greenaway
    Exhibit Designer
    Double Dare Design
    North Vancouver BC

• 6.  RE: Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-23-2021 06:46 PM
    Hi,
    We have conservation scientists who have tested our objects with different methods over the years.  They looked for arsenic, DDT, and other contaminants.  Anything with fur or feathers including natural specimens, clothing, indigenous objects, and fur trade items.  Our objects are all over Canada.

--

Jean-Luc Vincent

Administrateur du SIA
    Direction des collections, de la conservation et de la restauration
    Direction générale des affaires autochtones et du patrimoine culturel
    Parcs Canada, Gouvernement du Canada
    2630, chemin Sheffield, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. non fiable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

AIS Administrator
    Collections, Curatorial and Conservation Branch
    Indigenous Affairs and Cultural Heritage Directorate
    Parks Canada, Government of Canada
    2630 Sheffield Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. unreliable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

450 000 km2 de souvenirs
     / 450 000 km2 of memories

• 7.  RE: Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-18-2021 05:45 AM

Melanie,

I may be able to assist. I represent many taxidermists and associations, and work with natural history museums and acquiring these collections. I also have several clients that can assist you including George Dante who works at restoring these items. Please call me at 315.729.0602. 

Mike Oropallo

Michael Oropallo JD
    Attorney

• 8.  RE: Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-23-2021 03:26 PM
    Thanks Mike. I will pass along your contact info in case they'd like to follow up with you directly.

Melanie Greenaway
    Double Dare Design

Melanie Greenaway
    Exhibit Designer
    Double Dare Design
    North Vancouver BC

• 9.  RE: Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-18-2021 07:10 AM
    It's not just old taxidermy collections but also old ethnographic collections that were dusted with arsenic for preservation against pest damage.  We've also discovered that a wide variety of other toxic chemicals were used as fumigants.  Mothballs are a common problem at present.

We have done testing on some pieces, but it hasn't been possible to systematically test everything in the collections.  So the general trend is to assume that everything that looks good has been treated with something.  Hence standard procedure for handling any object is lab coats and gloves, no non-staff handling (i.e. volunteers / students / etc.), and exhibition in closed cases. 

There are no restrictions with accepting treated material into the permanent collections.  The educational K-12 collections, however, cannot accept anything that has been treated.

Chrisso Boulis
    Registrar Records
    Penn Museum

Chrisso Boulis
    Registrar, Records
    Penn Museum - University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia PA

• 10.  RE: Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-23-2021 03:24 PM
    Chrisso, thanks for your input, that is helpful.

Melanie Greenaway
    Exhibit Designer
    Double Dare Design
    North Vancouver BC

• 11.  RE: Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-18-2021 03:31 PM
    This describes much of our collection!  We have strong proceedures in place for handling and storage.  They can not be displayed where anyone could touch them, are stored in closed containers, must wear hepa masks when handling, etc.  There are definitely restrictions associated with accepting them, but they may not be a dealbreaker.  I'm happy to offer more information if helpful.
    Best, Melissa.

Melissa Westlake
    Assistant Director for Exhibits
    University of Michigan Museum of Natural History
    Ann Arbor MI

• 12.  RE: Old Taxidermy Collections

Posted 05-23-2021 02:57 PM
    Hi Melissa,

Many thanks for your response. The collection being offered has a lot of local significance but this is a new organization which has limited ability to care for this kind of collection. Would you be willing to have a brief chat with the executive director of this group about your experiences caring for this kind of collection? 

Melanie Greenaway
    Double Dare Design

Melanie Greenaway
    Exhibit Designer
    Double Dare Design
    North Vancouver BC