Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Minors and figure drawing classes

Posted 10-21-2019 01:53 PM
    We offer figure drawing classes with nude models.  We require parental permission under 18 years, intended to be for high school students.  We have a request for an 11 year old to attend.  Does anyone have any experience in this?  Pros and cons, concerns, or warnings, especially in regard to legal and insurance liability issues, fears of child endangerment.   Thank you.

------------------------------
    Fred Nation
    Executive Director
    Swope Art Museum
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Fred
    Nation@Swope.org
    812-238-1676 ext 113
    Terre Haute
    Indiana, USA
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Minors and figure drawing classes

Posted 10-22-2019 08:36 AM
    Good Morning, Fred - I believe you are treading into dangerous waters here.  As the director of a museum on a high school campus AND with one of the earliest collections of plaster casts of the World's great ancient statuary, I have a bit of adjacent experience.

While most of our regular art-student-visitors are teens and adults, we frequently host all grades, elementary through 8th.  Students are given the stories portrayed by the figures, their history, who created them, etc. And their tours are almost always concluded with a "life" drawing period.  However, these are NOT living, human models.  In our interpretation, we talk about why many of the figures are portrayed nude (ie the Greeks' - in particular, but Romans', as well -  belief in the perfection and beauty of the human form.)

Also - I would ask if the 11-year-old is a prodigy now already in high school?  I have known very chronologically young children raised by amazing parents who are both artistically advanced and exposed to museums on a regular basis.

You may also want to review your State laws regarding mandatory reporting.  Obviously, your organization is not a school, but because the Slater Museum is a department of Norwich Free Academy, I am a mandatory reporter.  The flip side of that is an incident that one might consider laughable.  I regularly exercise alone in our gym before classes begin and when the girl's track coach faced a very hot June, she switched her practices to early morning without telling anyone outside of Athletics.  I was caught coming out of the shower by the girls coming in, literally with my clothes off and the coach reported me!  So this can be taken to extremes, but it would be of value to either check with the State Department of Children and Families (or equivalent) or an attorney on your board.

Finally, are the parents willing to sign a statement approving the exposure?

Good Luck!  Great Question!  Vivian

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Minors and figure drawing classes

Posted 10-22-2019 09:27 AM

Vivian, thank you so much for your thoughts.  The parent will sign and accompany the child.  While that may mitigate some problems, not all.  Your endangerment advise is well taken.  This is a mixed class of college students and adults.  The model is female as is the child.  That might allay some concerns, but the precedent is important too.  I imagine some other students might feel uncomfortable.  

• 4.  RE: Minors and figure drawing classes

Posted 10-22-2019 11:58 AM
    absolutely!  ... and if there is a teacher in the class s/he might feel obliged to "report" regardless of the parent's "permission."  again, it might be best to consult State laws and an attorney!

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.