Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Contract between City and a non-profit or historical society to operate a museum

Posted 09-09-2021 11:22 PM
    I am looking for examples where a city contracts with a non-profit to operate a museum so that the City doesn't have to take on the entire process.  I am especially looking for examples of contracts for this scenario. Thank you.
    Janeen Trevillyan
    Sedona Heritage Museum
    archives@sedonamuseum.org

------------------------------
    Janeen Trevillyan
    President of the Board
    Sedona Heritage Museum
    Sedona AZ
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Contract between City and a non-profit or historical society to operate a museum

Posted 09-10-2021 11:59 AM
    Hi Janeen,

I assume the City, State and County contractual relationship with non-profits works for you.

Here are some institutions like this that you can contact and learn more I assume.

Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (NMLA), Seattle Aquarium, St. Louis Art Museum, California Science Center, Brooklyn Botanic Gardens and Los Angeles Zoo (non-profit is GLAZA).

I and other consultants as part of our team have worked with these and others helping with visitor dining, catering/rentals and retail (gift shops and ecommerce) in years past and know they have these relationships. Many others do too.

Recommend contacting them with Internet research through their respective websites. Most also have staff, Board and leadership listed on their websites too.

Good luck!
    Art

Art Manask
    Principal
    Art Manask Consulting
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Contract between City and a non-profit or historical society to operate a museum

Posted 09-10-2021 01:59 PM
    Dear Janeen,

I would be happy to help.  the Valdez Museum & Historical Archive just renewed its Lease Management Agreement with the City of Valdez. Here is a link to the renewed agreement.  https://www.valdezmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/FINAL_VMHA_LMAsigned-05172021.pdf 

We have been a non-profit since 1997 and prior to that we were a City Department.  To learn more about our history check out the About Us section of our website.  https://www.valdezmuseum.org/about-us/

Patricia Relay
    Executive Director
    Valdez Museum & Historical Archive
    Valdez AK